New 0.7 Raynox wideangle, HD-7062PRO, for V1U due in May at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old March 12th, 2007, 02:41 PM   #1
Major Player

New 0.7 Raynox wideangle, HD-7062PRO, for V1U due in May

(sorry if this has been reported here before)

Raynox is releasing a wideangle targeted at the V1U/FX7 coming in early May. I got the following information from the US Raynox rep (Charlie)

Quote:
Here is the correct info regarding the requested lens. Sorry about the error. It is actually a 62mm.HD-7062PRO High Definition Wideangle conversion lens 0.7X

Specially designed for Sony HDR-FX7, FX7E/HVR-V1U, V1E, V1N Compatible with an entire zoom range Designed to broaden the angle of view, including 43% more area in the picture Designed with high resolution power of 540-line/mm at center (MTF30%)

Front filter size: 82mm/Rear filter size: 62mm

The shipment will become available in early May 2007
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 03:27 PM   #2
New Boot

Schneider optics also recently listed several lenses for the V1 on their web page. http://www.schneideroptics.com/centu...1u/hvr-v1u.htm
Brian S. Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 04:13 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian S. Nelson View Post
Schneider optics also recently listed several lenses for the V1 on their web page. http://www.schneideroptics.com/centu...1u/hvr-v1u.htm
I'd be interested to see a side-by-side comparison with the Sony 0.8 vs Schneider's 0.8.

But there's a significant difference in price - both the Sony and Schneider lenses are $400 or more, the Raynox 0.7 will be $149.95
Old March 13th, 2007, 01:16 AM   #4
Major Player

I have ordered the 0.8 Sony quite long ago - it does not help much in wide (but gives a head ache once you need a filter).
In the meantime bought many of the Raynox models (from tele to macros).

For me the 6600 model with stepring works fine, good wide, not too much CA, sharp. Surely gives much more wide vs the 7000 models - and it comes with a much nicer price tag.
Two things are important with this 6600 lens:
- dont zoom in (blur in the corners)
- remove UV filter before attach (otherwise vignetting will occur)

For tele, I am very satisfied with the 2020 lens of Raynox, although it tends to show CA in high contrast areas (only super bright parts with dark background).

Avoid the super wide or fish eye (mostly the 185 model). It is advertised as super wide combined with fish eye. That lens is entirelly useless, I cant figure the condition where it would become useful.
In fact the fish eye image will be in a funny circle in the middle of the screen and the super wide mode (by slightly zooming in) will give huge vignetting. By zooming in you cant get better wide (if you want to go w/o vignetting) vs the 6600 - but it produces a very pronounced barrel distorsion, that is missing from the 6600 image.
Old March 13th, 2007, 09:20 AM   #5
Major Player

Zsolt;
I don't get it - if the 6600 diameter is smaller than the V1 lens, surely there's at least some minor vignetting with the 6600-V1 comination? Also, how sharp is sharp? the 6600 spec is for 350 lines/mm at the center, the HD-7062PRO is for 540 lines/mm. I need to get a reasonable wide angle for my work, and I'm not impressed with the Sony wide angle being a 0.8 or with the price tag.
Thanks
Greg
Old March 14th, 2007, 11:03 PM   #6
Major Player

I have the .7x version of the Raynox lens and with a 58-62 step down adapter there is no viginetting. I've even gotten it to work with a low profile lens protector (hoya lpf digital pro) and a lower profile step down ring (there are some thinner than others). The Raynox glass is ok and small and lighter than the Sony's. I'd prefer a bayonet mount of course for speed. I'm finding I'm using the Raynox 180 semi-fisheye (NOT the 185 which I returned) more than the .7x. A huge piece of glass but quite versatile because you can zoom in quite a bit and the quality is good. Look for my posts and review of these Raynox lenses along with some screenshots.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 03:32 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I have a question that any of you guys who use wide converters surely know the answer to. Suppose that - because of the limited distance from a talent being filmed - I have to use the widest angle on the V1, which of course causes dof to be very big. Does using a wide converter, which allows to zoom in a bit from the same distance, giving the same framing as above, help obtain any shallower dof?

If so, this would be another reason for me to look for a good, zoom-through wide angle converter, apart of course from the main purpose of allowing wider shots! TIA.
Old March 16th, 2007, 12:44 AM   #8
Major Player

Tell me more about the Raynox Tele

Zsolt,

You have the Raynox 2020, I have a few questions about how you work with it:

1) Do you use a step down or step up adapter, do you use Raynox or another
2) How far away do you need to be from the subject to focus?
3) Can you use the full zoom from the V1 along with the Raynox?

Have you looked into the Raynox 1540Pro as well? Their sample images seem to have a lot less CA than the 2020.

Thanks.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 12:59 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Does using a wide converter, which allows to zoom in a bit from the same distance, giving the same framing as above, help obtain any shallower dof?
No it'll actually give even greater DOF.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 06:07 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Moreau View Post
Zsolt,

You have the Raynox 2020, I have a few questions about how you work with it:

1) Do you use a step down or step up adapter, do you use Raynox or another
2) How far away do you need to be from the subject to focus?
3) Can you use the full zoom from the V1 along with the Raynox?

Have you looked into the Raynox 1540Pro as well? Their sample images seem to have a lot less CA than the 2020.

Thanks.
2020 has 62mm mounting thread, no stepring is necessary. The distance for focusing is from 4 meters and up.
2020 allows very limited zoom out, vignetting occurs or even a circle in the middle of the screen. Best using it in full zoom in.
1540Pro seems to be new model, I have no idea about it.
Old March 18th, 2007, 06:14 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Quinn View Post
Zsolt;
I don't get it - if the 6600 diameter is smaller than the V1 lens, surely there's at least some minor vignetting with the 6600-V1 comination? Also, how sharp is sharp? the 6600 spec is for 350 lines/mm at the center, the HD-7062PRO is for 540 lines/mm. I need to get a reasonable wide angle for my work, and I'm not impressed with the Sony wide angle being a 0.8 or with the price tag.
Thanks
Greg
Greg, I have experienced vignetting with the 6600 but it was due to my own stupidity. When I used it I have left the UV filter on and attached the lens to that. The vignetting was not visible in the LCD, so I have noticed in the post only. Having the stepring only between the cam and the lens the result is ok.

I am not sure how to assess the lines/mm claims of Raynox. What i see on my monitor is similar sharpness when using 6600 vs V1 own lens.
This lens is wider than HD-7062PRO and its price is lower as well. Thats why I have chosen.
It is suitable only if you use it zoomed out. If you zoom in, the corners will get blur. But with the price tag of the 6600 I can live with that limitation.
Old April 11th, 2007, 09:58 AM   #12
Inner Circle

The product info:
http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/video/hdrfx7/index.htm

Here are some pictures.
http://www.raynox.co.jp/comparison/v...omp_hdrfx7.htm

Scroll about halfway down for the HD-7062PRO pictures and video on an FX7. Do click the "enlarged image with exif" buttons to see the big picture.

To me it looks quite acceptable, with some very slight barrel distortion at the edges when zoomed out, and pronounced edge softness when zoomed in (which doesn't matter to me - don't need to do cu/ecu when I have a converter mounted, YMMV).
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 11:06 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Raynox HD-7062 converter is shipping

The Raynox HD-7062Pro .7x 62mm WA converter is now in stock at several retailers. Mine will be here Friday, looking forward to testing it and will post.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 11:46 AM   #14
Major Player

Hmmm, for some reason I expected this lens to be approx $500. But B&H seem to be selling it for $150.

Does anyone know any Raynox dealers in Canada?
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 02:10 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Holmes View Post
No it'll actually give even greater DOF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki
Does using a wide converter, which allows to zoom in a bit from the same distance, giving the same framing as above, help obtain any shallower dof?
Stu, why is that - could you elaborate?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7