V1E & DR-60 = no "Expanded focus" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old March 29th, 2007, 06:20 AM   #1
Regular Crew

V1E & DR-60 = no "Expanded focus"

If a DR-60-Drive is in use with a V1E, the function "Show Expanded Focus" is not available

Manual says on P. 39, left column, at the bottom:
Tip:, Unless "Rec.CTL.Mode" is off "Expanded-Focus-Button" is disabled

On P. 83 "EXT.REC.CTRL" it says: Set it to "Synchronous" if you use a connected external device to record

Not the same words, but the “Expanded-Focus button” is not working, I have to set it to OFF, then it works again

In HDV-mode, „Expanded focus" is extremely important to have exact focus

Has someone found a workaround to this limitation?

volki
Max Volki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 05:20 PM   #2
New Boot

This has happened to me several times. Each time I was quickly distracted except for the last time when I got really annoyed. As I remember, the function worked only after I turned the camera off and back on. I have the photo button assigned to expanded focus and fiddling with this setting didn't help. I have EXT.REC.CTRL set to synchronous. Now that I think about it this has happened only since I started using the DR-60. Strange.
Brian S. Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 02:13 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Max, I'm afraid this is the way it has to be by design. If you read the manual carefully, you will notice quite a number of restrictions that seem unreasonable without deeper knowledge of how the camera works. As an example, just consider how many restrictions the progressive mode introduces (Expanded Focus only 1.5x vs 2 in Interlaced, BackLight not working etc.). Relax!
Old March 30th, 2007, 02:54 AM   #4
Regular Crew

@Brian,
I had a phone call from Prime-Support, about this

As it is written in the manual on P. 39, left column, at the bottom:
Tip: Unless "Rec.CTL.Mode" is off, "Expanded-Focus-Button" is disabled

They consider it not as a malfunction, but will forward the Question to "Japan". They didn’t know a workaround.

So I will tray "yours" (turning the Camera on and off).

>>>But if someone else, using V1x and DR-60, has a real workaround, please report. <<<<<<< you never know?

You can use “Expanded Focus” if you enter the menu, set "Rec.CTL.Mode"
to off, then adjust Focus, re-enter menu and set "Rec.CTL.Mode" back to synchronous . But this is much to complicated.

I did ask Support if "Japan" could find a way to lay this to an Assign-Button, as a temporary solution.

@Piotr

I haven’t used 25P, so I haven’t noticed all restrictions, that’s thru.

But exact focus is so necessary, on today’s big flats or with beamers, where you will notice the slightest "unsharpness"
I know, we have to wait, but sometimes such things can be “fixed” with a firmware update. But if “Japan” doesn’t know our wishes, they will do nothing.

volki
Max Volki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 06:20 PM   #5
New Boot

My "fix" (turn on/off) doesn't work. I tried it yesterday. I must have switched something else. I know I didn't turn "Rec.CTL.Mode" off. I'll let you know if I manage to replicate my "fix". I can get by without expanded focus, but agree that it's a bummer.
Brian S. Nelson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7