Battery compatibility at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old March 30th, 2007, 08:37 AM   #1
New Boot

Battery compatibility

I'm considering purchasing a HRV-V1U in the near future. I already own the HVR-A1U and have three M series batteries. I know the V1 comes with the L series battery. Whats the difference between the series and are they interchangeable? I know they are both 7.2 volts and have similar output.

Thanks,

Michael
Michael May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 09:02 AM   #2
Major Player

Voltage would actually be irrelevant here, as they are physically incompatible.

Although your question does bring up another (I hope you don't mind me hijacking the thread here, it's just that I was about to create one myself with the same title).

Can all the discontinued L-Series that came before the '70 series (like the NPF550) batteries work without complication with the HVRV1U/HVRDR60/etc...

I presume the answer is yes, but I figured I'd ask anyway.
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 11:10 AM   #3
Inner Circle

As already noted, the L and M series are physically incompatible. The Z1U actually came with a charger that charges both types on opposite ends of the charging platform... I suspect the voltages would work, but they are physically apples and oranges!

Can't speak to the V1, but I'd suspect you'd be able to use earlier Sony batteries just fine - I've got a big mix of Sony batteries in the L series, and all seem to work... old TRV120, TRV900, FX1, Z1U, all compatible along the way with L series.

I suspect Sony is a bit more respectful of the "pro" line sticking to the "same" battery specs, unlike the yearly changes in the consumer battery line (FM, FP, FH... ugh). They probably realize that you may have an investment approaching the camera price in batteries if you're "equipped"... and switching power supplies might make you look at another brand more seriously <wink>!

DB>)
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 03:33 PM   #4
Regular Crew

We share the L series on the Z1 and the V1 without any problems.
But not the M's , as pointed out they won't fit.
Jeff Rhode is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7