Thinking of getting an FX7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 5th, 2007, 12:42 PM   #1
Major Player

Thinking of getting an FX7

Right now I mostly shoot family stuff and lots of macro with my HDR-HC3. I need a camera with manual focus like a ring and apature control for macro stuff. Would the FX7 be a good upgrade for me and will the picture quality be better than my HC3?

Also is slow motion feature on the fx7 better quality than the HC3?

THanks Joey
Old April 6th, 2007, 09:56 AM   #2
Trustee

FX7 is the best value for money Prosumer camcorder. It was voted the best Prosumer Camcorder. Read here:
http://www.videomaker.com/article/12964/
http://www.photokina-show.com/0283/s...fx7ecamcorder/
and here.
http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/1010...x7e_camcorder/

Stelios

Last edited by Douglas Spotted Eagle; April 6th, 2007 at 10:07 AM. Reason: please do not post links to other communities
Stelios Christofides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 07:31 AM   #3
Major Player

Hey Joey,
I have both the FX1 and a FX7. I got the FX7 for my assistant as he loves the light feel and loves the control and form factor. For him it's been his best upgrade. For me it was step back from the FX1. The point is if you never know what your missing you'll be very happy and will push the cam to it's limits. For me it was less sensitive than the FX1. They matched at the FX1 at 0db and the FX7 at 9db. It's a challenge but my guy is loving the cam and his performance shows it. The cam is a great cam, and if you need it for lower light work use a light. It makes great fill also using a light. The quality will be very nice, not sure in comparison to the hc3 but it's very close to the fx1, a lil sharper.

Monday

Last edited by Monday Isa; April 9th, 2007 at 07:32 AM. Reason: didn't answer his question.
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 07:48 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Guys , Im going to go to a sony style store and check it out. I just founfd out they have them there. It sounds like the camera I need for the price.

Joey
Old April 10th, 2007, 08:04 AM   #5
Major Player

I went and checked it out yesterday at the sony store and I was blown away. I got to play with in the store which was not that bright and turned down the gain to 0 in it was so noise free it was ridiculas .

I still have a few quetions
Can I do full manual with this camera - Gain - Aperture- Shutter speed ?

Can I do partial Manual like set the gain and aperture and let the camera adjust shutterspeed ?

The guy at the store was said something about if you adjust the aperture it switches to gain ?

Does it have Night shot ?

Does the superslo-mo feature have poor quality ?

If anyone can answer these questions it would be very helpful.
Old April 10th, 2007, 09:00 AM   #6

Joey, the answer to pretty well all your questions is "yes."

Aperture adjustment can switch to increase gain if you run out of aperture, but you decide if it does or not.
Slo mo is pretty weak, IMO
You can use full or partial manuals.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 11:50 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks Douglas. That was what I needed.
Old April 10th, 2007, 07:40 PM   #8
Trustee

I doubt that it has night shot. The V1 does not and they are the same optically. Heck, I don't even know if CMOS picks up infra-red. Anyway, night shot is not that useful. I'd rather switch to 15db of gain and a slow shutter speed than go into night shot on any camera.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 08:04 PM   #9
Major Player

Hello all, sorry to chime in, but I noticed this discussion and am looking at the FX7 for what it does indeed offer. It is a bit above my price point.. Actually, alot, but I think for what I wish to use it for and the ability to learn a good prosumer camera, It may fit the bill. Just a bit more saving. But I also am looking at the older JVC HD1 because its dirt cheap now.. I know there probably is no comparison, but I want to break into more controls on a camera and out of the consumer look of my video as far as my old TRV 19 is concerned.

Any help is greatly appreciated...
Damon Gaskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 09:01 PM   #10
Trustee

"But I also am looking at the older JVC HD1 because its dirt cheap now."

Let's just say there isn't much buzz about that camera. Look around these forums and see how much support there is for other cameras. That shouldn't be your only criteria, but it tells you something. On the other hand, price also shouldn't be your only consideration. The FX7 seems to be a fine camera and I would think about waiting until you can afford the best. JVC makes some excellent cameras, but the HD110 is much more expensive.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 04:51 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I took a deep breath then pulled the trigger on a V1. I certainly could have gotten away with the FX7 for what I use it for.

Anyway, I have a HC3 and a V1. I like both cameras a lot for what they do and the overall quality of the video they shoot. I don't regret spending the extra $$ on the V1 one bit. I used both at a wedding a couple weeks ago and it was easy to get the color balance between them close enough that they looked great on the screen when held up side-by-side. I used the HC3 as a closeup insert shot since it was so small I was able to hide it behind the minister in some greenery.

Not knowing you application makes it a bit harder to offer advice but for general shooting my opinion is the FX7 is a wonderful camera for that purpose.

I actually like the light response of the CMOS sensors with its expanded dynamic range and no smear. In low light they aren't quite as good as CCD but not horrible either.

Chris
Old April 11th, 2007, 10:44 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Medico View Post
I took a deep breath then pulled the trigger on a V1. I certainly could have gotten away with the FX7 for what I use it for.

Anyway, I have a HC3 and a V1. I like both cameras a lot for what they do and the overall quality of the video they shoot. I don't regret spending the extra $$ on the V1 one bit. I used both at a wedding a couple weeks ago and it was easy to get the color balance between them close enough that they looked great on the screen when held up side-by-side. I used the HC3 as a closeup insert shot since it was so small I was able to hide it behind the minister in some greenery.

Not knowing you application makes it a bit harder to offer advice but for general shooting my opinion is the FX7 is a wonderful camera for that purpose.

I actually like the light response of the CMOS sensors with its expanded dynamic range and no smear. In low light they aren't quite as good as CCD but not horrible either.

Chris
Chris thanks for the feedback.
I shoot stage events and wedding as well.
I am looking into getting an FX7 and or V1U as well. When you say the low light isn't horrible, are you shooting the V1 in full manual mode (shutter speed, iris, gain) and keeping your gain around 0-6 db and riding the iris and shutter speed?

Just curious what a real world test would be using all manual control (NO AUTO at all).

Also is there a major difference in the V1 and FX7, besides built in XLR and some additional custom preset options (do they shoot the same video in essence)?
Old April 11th, 2007, 11:34 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post
Chris thanks for the feedback.
I shoot stage events and wedding as well.
I am looking into getting an FX7 and or V1U as well. When you say the low light isn't horrible, are you shooting the V1 in full manual mode (shutter speed, iris, gain) and keeping your gain around 0-6 db and riding the iris and shutter speed?

Just curious what a real world test would be using all manual control (NO AUTO at all).

Also is there a major difference in the V1 and FX7, besides built in XLR and some additional custom preset options (do they shoot the same video in essence)?
From what I've read its inputs and 'tweaking' options where the V1 has the edge over the FX7. I've not had the oppurtunity to play with both at the same time.

I have used the camera in MANUAL and I've had very good results in using it in AUTO with the AE over-ride enabled. I find this is works very well (and subtle) to overcome strong backlighting, dark areas, etc while letting the camera still make adjustments to help you. This has become my preferred mode over straight MANUAL.

Running the cam at +6 gain is great. When you go to +9 it is OK. At +12 its fair and depending on how critical your audience is, its kinda touchy if its acceptable. Adjusting the knee point certainly helps mask noise in the dark areas (only available on the V1 and not the FX7). For a wedding where the viewer knows how dark it was during the reception, its likely going to be fine.

Chris
Old April 11th, 2007, 12:04 PM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Medico View Post
From what I've read its inputs and 'tweaking' options where the V1 has the edge over the FX7. I've not had the oppurtunity to play with both at the same time.

I have used the camera in MANUAL and I've had very good results in using it in AUTO with the AE over-ride enabled. I find this is works very well (and subtle) to overcome strong backlighting, dark areas, etc while letting the camera still make adjustments to help you. This has become my preferred mode over straight MANUAL.

Running the cam at +6 gain is great. When you go to +9 it is OK. At +12 its fair and depending on how critical your audience is, its kinda touchy if its acceptable. Adjusting the knee point certainly helps mask noise in the dark areas (only available on the V1 and not the FX7). For a wedding where the viewer knows how dark it was during the reception, its likely going to be fine.

Chris
Thanks Chris. That's what I thought in regards to the FX7 and V1.
I can see where the V1 would definitely have the edge over the V1 in low light because of teh gain (crushing the blacks more).
I generally shoot with some sort of on camera lighting for both cameras (either on camera or handheld off axis by assistant) so extreme low light isn't a concern of mine.
I'm going to try to make a trip to my Sony Style store and check out the FX7 for definite hands on experience. I ahve a fellow local association member, who has FX1/Z1/A1U,and V1 cameras. So I'm going to ask him if I might be able to borrow the V1 for a weekend and test it out for yself for some hands on as well.
Old April 11th, 2007, 04:57 PM   #15
Major Player

Thanks for the input and comments. I use Adobe applications and am using the 2.0 versions right now. I also am using a Matrox RT.X2 card with the 2.0 versions of the drivers, and I am pretty sure that I read some of the others use the most current Sony cams with the board, so I don't think that would be an issue to be honest.

Hmmnn, maybe it will drop in price over the next month! LOL Not likely, but there is still hope... I really want something I can take my learning to the next level on, but be able to purcase it over the next month or so. I also read a new article on the V1 which they gave great reviews and good things to say bout it, even in low lighting. To be honest, half of what you guys are talking about as far as knee, and things of that nature, I know nothing about.. That is why I am really wishing to upgrade my cam. From another review I read, they said that it was really good for I am thinking a person like me wanting to go the next step up in cameras, so I will see how much I really can save over the next month and truly try to go with it.

Another question, for a second camera for a friend, for shooting dual cams, would the lower ended Sony HDV's be a good second shot? My friend handles the photos but works a second cam also, so I am looking not only for myself but for her also.... That was another consideration with the JVC as I could purchase two of those, and have identical shots and settings. But if I can possibly get a second less expensive sony which would make great fill, that would be awesome. Any further suggestions? I think I read on this forum in the A1 section that some guys are for example using A1's and then the HV20's as secondary cams.. I would like do do something of that nature.. I also remember "I think" someone mentioning the FX7 and HC3 together... Is this possible? If so, I think we could swing that... I think... he he

I truly from what I have read think I will be much happier with the FX7 over a few years, and learn tremendous things about video... But the second cam is a strong consideration.. Very strong... So I thank you all for your responses and inputs.. I truly do...

D
Damon Gaskin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7