DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   My first test video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/91699-my-first-test-video.html)

John Huebbe April 17th, 2007 06:58 AM

My first test video

I quickly cut up some clips that I shot with my new camera. So far I'm very pleased with the V1U.

http://www.mfavp.com/sonex/flight_4_15_2007/index.php

I'll have to post some more video when I get some time.

Michael Liebergot April 17th, 2007 07:45 AM

John, that was some great footage.
Looks like a good test for the CMOS sensors.
The plane and sky held up real well, and didn't blow out.
Did you use the V1's built in ND filters for this, adjust shutter speed and exposure, or run it on full auto?

Trish Kerr April 17th, 2007 07:58 AM

Nice footage and the plane has great character. I was also wondering if you used out of the box settings or custom. 24p or 60i? And if you did it all handheld or had a tripod/monopod handy.

Trish

John Huebbe April 17th, 2007 09:05 AM

Camera was set in 30p mode using 1/60 shutter speed and ND filter 2. Basic camera settings were used like black stretch. I haven't had time to do any post processing on the video.

I was VERY happy with the way the camera handled the sunlight and available light around sunset.

I was a bit disappointed with the auto focus. While zoomed all the way in and tracking the plane sometimes it wouldn't keep focus. This happened whenever I lost perfect tracking of the plane. I guess since the sharp edge of the plane was lost, the camera started to search for focus. I guess I wish there was a setting in the camera for how long to wait until it starts to search for focus. Thinking back, it would have been best to use manual focus while tracking the plane (probably set at infinity) and when it was taking off or landing switch to auto.

John Cash April 17th, 2007 11:03 AM

Good Looking footage. I shot some 30p stuff this weekend inside a trauma room. The peoples faces looked great,but when I panned some things inside the room like a wire rack cart had the jagged edges present like the wings of the plane did on the final approach. Can this be eleiminated with a faster shutter setting?
Did you shoot any 60i?

Ron Little April 17th, 2007 11:17 AM

Tom, what I want to know is what format did you save your video in and what are the settings. I am looking for the best way to store my finished movies.

John Huebbe April 17th, 2007 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Cash (Post 661947)
Good Looking footage. I shot some 30p stuff this weekend inside a trauma room. The peoples faces looked great,but when I panned some things inside the room like a wire rack cart had the jagged edges present like the wings of the plane did on the final approach. Can this be eleiminated with a faster shutter setting?
Did you shoot any 60i?

Yes, I shot both 30p and 60i. I haven't had time to go over it all. It was easier to quickly edit the 30p since I didn't have to deinterlace.

I think the jagged edges are due to encoding into Flash. They are not present with my raw M2T files. I've had problems with other video I've encoded with Flash. I seem to get some tearing and jaggies. I don't seem to get those problems when I encode with H264 in a Quicktime file or Xvid with an AVI file.

I'm leaving for a shoot (get to use the new cameras) but if anyone wants to see some of the raw clips I can upload them next week when I get back. Web encoded video doesn't do the camera justice.

Chris Medico April 17th, 2007 07:31 PM

The problem with jaggies shooting at 30p is from your software not correctly assembling the fields into a complete frame. On tape the video is 60i regardless of mode so your software must understand that and most right now do not.

I'm currently downloading version 7.2 for my avid liquid which is supposed to take care of that problem for me.

Chris