dump fx1 for fx7? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 25th, 2007, 12:30 PM   #1
Major Player

dump fx1 for fx7?

I am still undecided. I have been using fx1 for quite sometime now. Mainly shoot family events..hobbie for me. The only reason I am eyeing the fx7 is the size and because its "new". Should I dump my fx1 for the fx7?
Old April 25th, 2007, 12:33 PM   #2
Major Player

The fx7 doesn't do as well in low light. Other than that they are pretty much the same except for cmos vs ccd. I wouldn't upgrade. Now if you go with a v1, now that would be worth the upgrade.

Jon
Jon Omiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 02:55 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Omiatek View Post
The fx7 doesn't do as well in low light. Other than that they are pretty much the same except for cmos vs ccd. I wouldn't upgrade. Now if you go with a v1, now that would be worth the upgrade.

Jon
Jon Have you tried the FX7 in low light? because I have one and I am very pleased with the results in low light conditions. and speaking about "low" how low is that in real terms not lux. I have filmed in a church the other day with candles and the results were very good.

Stelios
Old April 25th, 2007, 04:39 PM   #4
Trustee

If I were buying right now, I would choose the FX7 over the FX1, but I wouldn't switch from the FX1 to FX7. There isn't enough difference unless you can do the trade without significant expense. The V1 has some nice features that make it a more significant upgrade, but the FX1 is still a nice camera. I like the LCD position of the FX1 better it and may also have nicer focus ring action. The FX7 is smaller, so if portability is an absolutely essential criteria that could be a deciding factor.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 09:24 PM   #5
Major Player

I am actually going to purchase the FX7 over the FX1. I tried out both in the Sony store, and at another retailer, and with the gain turned to +9, I was shooting in a pitch black room illuminated only by a television without as far as I could really tell any type of noise. The FX1 on the other hand I was shooting in the same room and did not see the same results when the gain was turned up. Maybe it was a fluke, but I liked the FX7 over the FX1. Not to mention it's lighter, which is really good for long shoots or events.

Just one persons opinion based off seeing both.. But either way, you will not be disappointed..
Damon Gaskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 08:02 AM   #6
Major Player

I would keep the FX1. I had the Fx7 in my position for a small period of time side by side with my FX-1 the Low Light on the FX7 is not as good. I did upgrade to the V1U which is better in low light than the FX-7 but only to get the 24p 30p modes that the cam offered. If there were no 24p 30p offered by Sony. I would have stuck with My FX1 & Z1 or probably went with the Canon A1
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7