DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   Any luck putting a 35mm lens adaptor on the V1u? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/92627-any-luck-putting-35mm-lens-adaptor-v1u.html)

Heath McKnight April 28th, 2007 08:06 AM

Any luck putting a 35mm lens adaptor on the V1u?

I know that the lens is smaller than the average DV/HDV camera, but has anyone been able to stick a 35mm adaptor (P+S Technik, RedRock Micro, etc.) on the front of the HVR-V1u yet?

I like the idea of using the body of the V1u has my record device and the 35mm lens adaptor with nice primes and zooms on the front.

Thanks,

heath

Todd Giglio April 28th, 2007 09:28 AM

Heath,

I have the Redrock Micro M2 and have had no problems using it with the V1U (in fact, I like using it with the V1 better than the Z1). You need to use a stepdown ring, and the hardmount works great. The smaller body of the V1 actually gives the rig a more refined look. I'm just waiting for the RR Mattebox and Remote FF, and I'll be all set.

I'll be posting pictures of the rig soon (I had to send the M2 back for repair because of user error... :( )

There are clips on DVinfo.net that I had posted showing various lenses with the V1 and the M2 (do a search and you'll find them).

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Todd

Heath McKnight April 28th, 2007 09:35 AM

Which package did you buy? The HD package or HD cinematographers package?

Post some pix, please!

heath

Todd Giglio April 28th, 2007 10:10 AM

Heath,

I bought the HD Indie package with Nikon mount. I will definitely post pics (including my HD field monitor) when I get the M2 back. Hopefully I can get it back in a few weeks (waiting is the hardest part).

Heath McKnight April 28th, 2007 10:17 AM

How much did you pay? Is this the package?

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl;js...c=2&category=1

Thanks,

heath

Heath McKnight April 28th, 2007 10:18 AM

If that link doesn't work, here's a general one:

http://redrockmicro.com/micro35.html

heath

Todd Giglio April 28th, 2007 10:24 AM

Heath,

That's cheaper than I paid (they didn't have all those accessories when I first bought; I wish they had). I actually ended up spending twice that on just the Nikon lenses.

Overall, I'm very pleased with Redrock. They are continuing to add accessories that make our lives as Indie Filmmakers a heck of a lot easier (at least a heck of a lot more affordable).

I do know that the M2 loses light, so professional lighting is a must when shooting (I don't need to tell you that, because you've already shot some really nice stuff).

Todd

Heath McKnight April 28th, 2007 11:25 AM

What about losing a stop or two? Is that happening? Can i pump up the gain to 6 dB? (Or simply add more light, of course.)

heath

Todd Giglio April 28th, 2007 12:02 PM

You can add gain (6db is about right). I think I'm just going to add more light. Since you are losing a stop or two, more intense light on set does look more 'natural' on camera.

Dave Morgan April 28th, 2007 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd Giglio (Post 669094)
Heath,

I bought the HD Indie package with Nikon mount. I will definitely post pics (including my HD field monitor) when I get the M2 back. Hopefully I can get it back in a few weeks (waiting is the hardest part).

i herd that its hard to get the focus right when using the adapers.? is this true?

when using the adapter you cant use the cameras focous or zoom?

Marcus Marchesseault April 28th, 2007 05:36 PM

I have the Brevis35 for the V1 and it works fine. I have the HD bundle with achromat and Nikon mount. The quality is excellent and it's a very functional size. I don't even require the rail system, but I got it anyway to add accessories.

Focus is done by the Nikon lens. The camera lens only focuses on the Brevis' screen. It stays put once I have it focused on the screen. I lose a bit of light, but it's really not that bad. The Brevis loses less light than I expected. Outdoors, it isn't noticeable at all and I still need to use ND filters. Indoors, the V1 needs a fair amount of light anyway, so this won't be used as an event video device in dark ballrooms or dim conference rooms.

The Brevis35 can be found at www.cinevate.com. Dennis Wood is the owner and does a fine job of customer service. At the beginning, there were long wait times due to manufacturing backlogs, but now the time seems to be down to a 2-week wait at most before shipping. I waited much longer, but it was worth the wait. It really seems like a perfect adapter considering all the factors. It is simple to install once it is first tweaked (backfocus).

Daniel Boswell April 29th, 2007 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heath McKnight (Post 669053)
I know that the lens is smaller than the average DV/HDV camera, but has anyone been able to stick a 35mm adaptor (P+S Technik, RedRock Micro, etc.) on the front of the HVR-V1u yet?

I like the idea of using the body of the V1u has my record device and the 35mm lens adaptor with nice primes and zooms on the front.

Thanks,

heath

captured with V1 and Letus Flip Enhanced

http://homepage.mac.com/epiphany2002/letus.tif

Dennis Wood April 30th, 2007 11:48 PM

Thanks Marcus :-) We are caught up with adapter orders finally, and can have units pretty much anywhere in the world within 18 to 48 hours of an order being placed.

Marcus Marchesseault May 1st, 2007 03:28 AM

Okay, say that Dennis gets a nasty case of influenza and snow blocks shipment for a few days: the Brevis is worth waiting a few weeks in the worst case scenario. Honestly, I think the ease of the Brevis form-factor is underrated. It takes about 30 seconds to dismount the Brevis if you need to run-n-gun and not much longer to set it back up.

I believe Dennis when he says that he can get products out quickly now. He has shipped more adapters in the past two months than in the year previous. Also, the Brevis is constantly being updated with new choices. I think there are at least 4 diffuser choices at this point for different situations and cameras.

Somebody buy me a Cinevate Mattebox!

I need to edit some video and put up some Brevis/V1 footage. Sorry for my laziness.

Bob Buruchian May 1st, 2007 02:48 PM

Is the image upside down in the viewfinder with the Brevis?

Also can you use other mattebox systems?

and last, is there a follow focus system available?