How can we bypass the HDV compression with the V1u? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 28th, 2007, 09:43 AM   #1
MPS Digital Studios

How can we bypass the HDV compression with the V1u?

Is there a solution cheaper than the AJA Io HD with HDMI?

http://www.aja.com/html/products_Io.html

I want to bypass the HDV compression and get the 4:2:2 good stuff. Only thing I can think of is to shoot in HDV, capture with a DeckLink Intensity or the Pro version (http://decklink.com/products/intensity/) to get to a full 1920x1080, convert it to ProRes 422 (if I can), then edit.

Thoughts?

heath
Old April 28th, 2007, 10:14 AM   #2
Major Player

Heath,

When I shoot my upcoming feature, I plan on shooting via HDV and importing into the Mac with the cineform codec (I will have to use a PC program on the intel Mac with the proper software and Cineform; Cineform will automatically remove the V1 pulldown to achieve true 24p and will also flip/rotate the footage if you are shooting with a 35mm adapter). Unless there is an option to record in the field straight from the HDMI port, this is the only solution I've come up with that will help keep the ingested footage clean for post.
Todd Giglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 10:23 AM   #3
MPS Digital Studios

There's also the Io HD, which I wonder if it'll remove the pulldown.

How will you capture? HDMI via the Decklink Intenisty or I. Pro? Or firewire?

Thanks!

heath

ps-For 9:04 AM, my feature, we shot on the Z1u, 1080i50 with CineFrame 25 (you can keep it off and deinterlace in post). I captured and cut in HDV, then did my final color correction, etc. I then copied and pasted the sequence into a new one with the Sequence/Compressor settings at Photo - Jpeg, 75% quality. I rendered and exported a stand-alone QuickTime Movie and used Cinema Tools to convert to 23.98 fps. I re-imported into a pjp75, 23.98 fps timeline and put in my music and that was it.
Old April 28th, 2007, 10:28 AM   #4
Major Player

I would capture via Firewire. I'd let the Cineform codec do all the work. This option still has the initial HDV compression 'flaws', but at leat the conversion will help in post. I've only read great things from those using the Cineform codec. I know apple just include the ProRes codec in FCS2, but as far as I know, the V1U isn't supported as far as pulldown removal (aside from the Cinema Tools work around).
Todd Giglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 11:25 AM   #5
MPS Digital Studios

I wrote this solution:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=87189

heath
Old April 28th, 2007, 12:00 PM   #6
Major Player

Right!

I remember reading that. Great job.
Todd Giglio is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7