DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   We're having two twins (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/93106-were-having-two-twins.html)

Steven Davis May 3rd, 2007 08:57 AM

We're having two twins

Our two v1's are on the way via the UPS stork. We'll be using them with our Z1 as our main workhorse for our events.

We are excited to go fully widescreen.

Marcus Marchesseault May 5th, 2007 08:10 AM

Steven, do you find the Z1 good enough in low light and other areas that you are confident going full HD for events. I got spoiled with the VX2000 and almost wished I kept it to work along with the V1. I'm not doing many events anymore, so I decided to just go with the V1. Are you fully confident in these cameras for events?

Steven Davis May 5th, 2007 08:29 AM

Marcus,

I am confident that I can do the events in HD. My Z1 does a good job, but like most cameras, in very low light situations, I believe a camera light is in order anyway. I've put the light on at ceremonys. I have a Gl2 that I keep for my back up that I can use which I'll pull out if I need to.

But yeah. I mainly bought the v1u cameras for the ceremony's / receptions, because a wedding to me in widescreen is nicer. We do a nice three camera setup at ceremonys. We'll see how they all do, but I have no problem throwing a light on top of the camera if people insist on having dark receptions.

Marcus Marchesseault May 7th, 2007 08:25 AM

I guess I was thinking straight when I sold the VX2000, but sometimes I have my doubts. Thanks for easing my mind. I guess I really need to work on portable lighting if I get some events.

Steven Davis May 7th, 2007 09:09 AM

Yeah Marcus,

My last wedding we were running our current camera combo, GL2 and my Z1u. The last shot of the day was a B&G walk down the sidewalk lined with people and sparklers to the limo. (it was dark) I only have one light, so I put it on the Z1u. It worked out well. The Z1u shot is very good. I'll propably get another light at some point. For now, gota pay for the twins. Hehe.

Steven Davis May 8th, 2007 06:15 AM

Well, they arrived yesterday via the UPS stork. Although I did have to chase him down since he came when I was at work. (thanks B&H).

First impressions so far; I swear they look like Z1u jr.s And no my Canon GL2 and Z1u were not fooling around. (that's the end of that analogy)

I'll know more after this weekends wedding, but hands on, I think my initial goal of having versitility in my arsenal was correct. They are certainly lighter and easier to handle than the Z1. I definetely like having all the onscreen displays; zebra, histogram, cross hairs etc. I saw a defenite improvement with the mic adapter, now it's rubber mounted to 'forgive' those little bumps.

I miss the WB switch on the Z1.

I'm never really a big fan of the Xlr being near the handle, but for the shotgun and wireless it makes some sense, although I velcro my mic to the back of my camera battery, and not on my hotshoe.

I was annoyed that there is no battery charger, like the one that comes wtih my Z1. Seems kind of silly since my Gl2 came with one and cost some 40% less.

And I'm sure there's a majical reason; but I'm not sure why they did not include the memory card, the ability to sync camera settings is one of the major selling points for the camera.

Well we've only had them for a night, so I'll probably post more down the road.

Dan Shallenberger May 14th, 2007 01:20 PM

So Steven, how did the V1u work out for your wedding last weekend?

I'm thinking about getting one and my primary use would be for ceremonies and receptions. Ceremonies I'm not too worried about, but the receptions I am. I'm spoiled by the incredible low-light capabilities of the PD170, and worried about switching. Although, I do have an on-camera light, and I use it often even with the PD170, so hopefully with that light and some gain, it would be fine for receptions.

The main reason I want to go with the A1 or V1u, instead of another 170/2100, is for true widescreen and the framerates. I have some other projects coming up that I need to shoot in 16x9, but whatever camera I get has to work with weddings as well.

Thanks,
Dan

Steven Davis May 14th, 2007 02:07 PM

Thanks for asking.

Well, the camera's did very well. I was very impressed with the color of the V1's. I was using them in conjunction with my Z1u, I used the Z1u as the main back camera. I stuck one of the V1u's on the second floor of the place for a bird's eye view of the ceremony, and used the other one on a side angle, halfway down the right side.

I was very impressed with the color so far of the V1u. I have only captured the footage, and kinda looked at it that way, but to say the least, I'm happy so far. I stuck my AT897 shotgun mic aside the included mic on the V1u, so I'll be interested to hear the difference.

I think I was pretty much dead on in getting two V1u's to go with the Z1, they are familiar. The V1u feels like the Z1's little brother.

The wedding this past weekend had a mixture of very bright light, a low lit hallway that the bridal party came down and better balanced light. I didn't really have any real low light to test the V1u in, but I'm sure it would struggle like the Z.

Steven Davis May 16th, 2007 01:07 PM

Another positive aspect of the V1u is the battery usage vss my Z1u. Either I read it on DSE's reveiw or somewhere, the CMOS chips do use less battery. So that'll help the process. Just passing it along. I believe that we will start using two V1us for the reception and just use the Z1u as the main ceremony work horse.

Alex Raskin May 22nd, 2007 06:57 PM

Steven, have you tried HDMI capture live on location with V1U?

Steven Davis May 22nd, 2007 08:13 PM

No, I'm not set up for it yet, ok actually I am, but I haven't had a need to do it yet.

Alex Raskin May 22nd, 2007 08:19 PM

Just wanted to know what kind of setup do you have - what PC configuration do you use to capture HDMI (when you need it)?

Steven Davis May 22nd, 2007 09:01 PM

I just have a TV that will play it, I haven't gone any further.