DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   86mm narrow filter for v1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/93387-86mm-narrow-filter-v1.html)

Leslie Wand May 7th, 2007 02:48 AM

86mm narrow filter for v1?

further to my post re: 86 mm filter under sony wa lens hood. anyone found one thin enough?

leslie

Lee Berger May 7th, 2007 04:19 AM

Leslie,
I have a Sunpak UV that fits just fine.

Lee

Leslie Wand May 7th, 2007 05:52 AM

hi lee,

thanks for the reply, but i'm writing about the sony wide angle lens (86mm) - VCL-HG0862K, and i think it's an even smaller clearance....

leslie

Piotr Wozniacki May 7th, 2007 06:00 AM

Just out of curiousity: is it possible to fit the VCL-HG0862K (which is Bayonet mount) on the V1 with an UV filter attached (as in the picture posted)?

Leslie Wand May 7th, 2007 05:44 PM

yes, no problem. however, the hood wont fit over the filter...

ie. the sony wa does have a filter thread.

leslie

ps. sorry just re-read your question. i don't think so, and i'm not too sure of the practicality of using filters between lens' - the only time i've ever done that was years ago with my beta sp rigs when i'd stretch a piece of stocking over the back of the lens for that 'soft' look....

Piotr Wozniacki May 7th, 2007 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslie Wand (Post 674422)
[...] i don't think so, and i'm not too sure of the practicality of using filters between lens' - the only time i've ever done that was years ago with my beta sp rigs when i'd stretch a piece of stocking over the back of the lens for that 'soft' look....

I don't think so, either - after re-thinking. Nevertheless, it could be nice to keep SOME filter always on, and be able to attach the wa only when needed.

Leslie Wand May 8th, 2007 12:52 AM

i work the other way around - i keep my wa on all the time, and only rarely take it off. hence my annoyance at the bad design aspect of sony's lens hood...

leslie

Tom Hardwick May 8th, 2007 02:21 AM

And don't forget you're working at very short focal lengths indeed. With Sony's 0.8x wide-angle in place you're shooting at a focal length of about 4 mm. Hold your fingertips 4 mm apart and see how tiny this is.

So, best advice is not to use any filters at all unless it's absolutely unavoidable or unless you can very effectively hood or flag that front element. If you don't do this and shoot into the light, every speck of dust (on both sides of the filter and on your front element) will become glaringly obvious on screen.

tom.

Leslie Wand May 8th, 2007 03:02 AM

very true tom - i've learnt the hard way in past.....

however, i would still feel much more comfortable with a filter on the front and the knowledge that i might have a dust problem, than not....

leslie

Piotr Wozniacki May 8th, 2007 03:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A couple of weeks ago, somebody posted this picture of his rig - I'd be interested to know where a French flag like this could be found, and how it is mounted to the V1? Certainly looks good, and does the job!

Douglas Spotted Eagle May 8th, 2007 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslie Wand (Post 674623)
i work the other way around - i keep my wa on all the time, and only rarely take it off. hence my annoyance at the bad design aspect of sony's lens hood...

leslie

I generally leave my wide angle on as well. However, the Sony .08 (the lens designed for the V1) has it's own sunshade included. If I'm not using that sunshade, then the mattebox attached to the camera manages light over the wide. IMO, if you're shooting outdoors with a wide, you generally need a flag over the lens as opposed to just a shade anyway.

Mike Gorski May 8th, 2007 08:30 AM

Clever idea. Is that french flag being held in place with a strip of velcro?

Ron Little May 8th, 2007 12:56 PM

I want one of those french flags. Where can I get one?

Piotr Wozniacki May 8th, 2007 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 674659)
A couple of weeks ago, somebody posted this picture of his rig - I'd be interested to know where a French flag like this could be found, and how it is mounted to the V1? Certainly looks good, and does the job!

I'm also very interested where to find something like this! As I said, somebody posted the picture above o this forum (or was it A1's?), and I saved the picture but can't find the post/poster:)

EDIT: OK, I found it; it was Brian Rhodes:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....2&postcount=14