V1U Optimal Downconverting within Camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old May 9th, 2007, 02:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

V1U Optimal Downconverting within Camera

Greetings. Newbie here.
I have two V1U's and use PP2/Cineform (will be posting other workflow questions either not specifically addressed, or couldn't find here...).

Shoot typically in 24p (not "A"), 1/48 (etc.).
For a quick/simple project for output to SD, where I don't care about time-protecting it (HD), thought I would bi-pass the Cineform and test/use the down-converting within the V1U. I captured within a 24p, widescreen SD (720:480) preset (PP2, not Cineform's).

There are significant jaggies with minimal motion. Could anyone suggest why? Could anyone suggest a workflow through the in-camera down-convert that works (benefit for quick/simple is eliminating other processes)? Perhaps the downconvert doesn't strip the 3:2 pulldown? Perhaps because it's 24p? Or because I'm not using Cineform and I didn't shoot 24pA?

Any help would be appreciated!
Greg Schlueter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 03:55 PM   #2
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Schlueter View Post
Perhaps because it's 24p? Perhaps the downconvert doesn't strip the 3:2 pulldown? Or because I'm not using Cineform ?

Any help would be appreciated!
You are correct -- a downconvert doesn't alter the 24p's 2-3 pulldown so you still have it at SD.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7