capture from tape play back using HDMI versus firewire... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old May 14th, 2007, 08:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Frederick View Post
In this months DV mag, there is a review for the Black Magic HDMI card, and the reviewer says unless you are going LIVE out of the camera with HDMI into the computer, then you are better off just staying native HDV. This is in regards to quality of the image.

If you don't want to deal with long render times and other issues that have to do with HDV, then using HDMI in to another codec or uncompressed FROM TAPE is the next best option. In terms of picture quality from tape, go HDV native over firewire.
I would agree. If you're pushing color hard, or need fast renders, then the 8bit/10bit uncompressed file is the way to go. For the cost of drive space, it's a significant trade-off, but worth it if speed and quality of output/archive integrity are important to you.
I've got some footage captured via DR60 vs HDMI; I'll post a couple of stills when return home. At full rez, you cannot detect a difference on a full-screen monitor view. However, you can see a difference when you zoom in by 300%. Color is *slightly* deeper, and contrasted edges slightly smoother. This is due to the codec and management. But it's a whopping difference in HDD space.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 08:07 PM   #17
MPS Digital Studios

Spot,

Ultimately, aside from space, would you even recommend getting the Intensity Card to capture HDMI vs. native HDV?

heath
Old May 14th, 2007, 08:15 PM   #18

For non-live capture?
Nope. I got the Intensity to go along with other HDMI products we're working with, so it was a no-brainer for us. But if all I had was a V1, a computer, and unlimited HDD...I'd probably consider it twice.
Bear in mind, we're constantly interfacing with XDCAM and HDCAM source, so it's actually a greater workload on the system to have native HDV on the timeline vs BMD or Sony YUV, simply for speed of edit/render. The content you saw for ESPN was captured both ways, and neither they nor the client was the wiser. Then again, ESPN isn't real-world. IMO, the benefit of the HDMI capture has far less to do with the camera output than it does the access to the better codec.
Old May 14th, 2007, 08:19 PM   #19
MPS Digital Studios

So, for a filmmaker like me, stick with just Firewire I/O.

Thanks!

heath
Old May 14th, 2007, 08:43 PM   #20
Major Player

Thanks all - most helpful thread replies!
Lonnie
Lonnie Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 10:36 PM   #21
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Frederick View Post
If you don't want to deal with long render times and other issues that have to do with HDV, then using HDMI in to another codec or uncompressed FROM TAPE is the next best option.
Long render/export time a primarily a function of the codec you are GOING TO not the codec you are COMING FROM.

The long render/export is shocking to many because they have never done HD exports before they had HDV.
Old May 14th, 2007, 10:57 PM   #22

Try this:
Take an HDCAM stream, render to DV. Using uncompressed HDCAM source, of course. Unlike HDV or AVCHD, there are several codecs that may be used for HDCAM on ingest over HD/SDI.
HDV stream, render to DV
AVCHD stream, render to DV.

Then render HDCAM to HDCAM
HDV to HDV
AVCHD to AVCHD

Now render HDCAM to CineForm or most any other HDI codec.

HDCAM to HDCAM will win in all renders, all things being equal at the proc side.
Old May 15th, 2007, 06:30 AM   #23
Major Player

Heath,

If you're making a film and can control the situation, then I would think using an HDMI card and going direct from camera to computer would be the best option. A lot of extra requirements but the quality would be better. Unless you're shooting a road picture with a lot of remote locations!
Paul Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:07 AM   #24
MPS Digital Studios

I'm talking about capturing in post, not live.

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7