DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   strange noise inside V1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/94262-strange-noise-inside-v1.html)

Piotr Wozniacki May 17th, 2007 07:35 AM

strange noise inside V1

Today I was playing with my V1E in a very quiet environment, and I noticed a strange, grinding noise in it - it's most audible with zoom at telephoto, and it's not the zoom motor (I can hear this one, too - but it stops after I stop zooming, and the other one is still there). Any ideas?

Sergio Barbosa May 17th, 2007 07:38 AM

could it be the focus motor? in case you're using AF....

Piotr Wozniacki May 17th, 2007 07:42 AM

No - I should have added the focus was manual.

Douglas Spotted Eagle May 17th, 2007 07:43 AM

Stabilizer perhaps?

Piotr Wozniacki May 17th, 2007 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle (Post 680984)
Stabilizer perhaps?

Yep, it is the stabilizer! It's gone when I switch OIS off. Also, it's loudest at full tele, when the stabilizer is working hardest... But is this noise normal? I mean, it's not "nice" (technically).

Anyway, thanks Douglas!

Douglas Spotted Eagle May 17th, 2007 07:59 AM

it's the gyro, and it's completely normal. Pursuant to another thread, the gyro is quite loud compared to the DR60. Neither will affect your audio recordings. OIS makes some noise on all cameras, it's much worse on some than on others. I'd put the V1 in the "barely audible" category.

Tom Hardwick May 17th, 2007 08:04 AM

Yes, it's quieter than the VX/PD170. That VAP needed much more energy to overcome the inertia of the plane-parallel element, with a consequential increase in noise.

Lots of Leica lensed Panasonics 'clonk' when they're switched off and the camera's rocked, and this is due to the electromagnets holding the OIS elements shutting down. All perfectly normal.

tom.

Piotr Wozniacki May 17th, 2007 08:05 AM

Thanks again!

I just realized that I haven't had much experience with optical stabilizers - the only one before the V1 was on the Canon A1 I had tested, but never put my ear to it:)

Piotr Wozniacki May 30th, 2007 04:34 AM

Again about noise, but zoom this time:) I'm aware it cannot be noiseless, but would like to confront my observations with those of the other V1/FX7 users here. When I use the fastest zoom possible (usually to fully zoom on the subject in order to focus on it properly), during the last stage of zooming (some 75%-100%) the motor noise is quite audible, and is picked up by the mic and recorded. In fact, with my left palm supporting the lens body, I can feel vibrations accompanying the noise at such range and speed of zooming.

Is it normal with all V1/FX7 machines out there? Please re-assure me, or I'll be calling Prime Support...

Tom Hardwick May 30th, 2007 05:18 AM

Calling Prime Support, Prime Support.

Claire Watson May 30th, 2007 05:35 AM

Piotr , if it helps I can tell you my V1E doesn't have the problem you describe. I made a short recording in a very quiet room with the audio set to full gain/manual with wind filter switched off. I also removed the Dead Cat muffler along with the foam layer so as to have a completely bare mic.

The only noise I can hear on playback from my HDMI connected HDTV with volume turned up far more than normal is the slight whirr from my whisper quiet Core2Duo computer next to it, plus the slight rubbing noise from my finger on the zoom lever as I alternately zoom in and out.

I was going to say it looks like you have a problem but then I remembered I am using the Rode NTG1 which is mounted on a Rode shock mount, this has two rubber bands which isolate the mic from camera vibration. Perhaps this is making a difference but then I also don't hear any noise from the cam body as I zoom not do I feel any vibration.

Hope this helps.

Piotr Wozniacki May 30th, 2007 05:41 AM

Thanks for the feedback so far. I must admit I am very picky and have a very good hearing, considering my age:). When I play back my clips through the (good) PC speakers (suppose similar to average TV ones), I can't hear anything either. This is why I haven't noticed it for so long. But, when I connect to my Home Theatre system with subwoofer on, it's there - just at the longer end of the zoom, and only when zooming full speed.

Could anyone spare me a moment, and try to re-create these circumstances?

Claire Watson May 30th, 2007 06:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I took the test I made into After Effects to look for any noise.

Here is a 1.5MB Quicktime movie with the audio overlayed over the video, apart from my "toot toot toot" whistle at the start of the zoom and a click from my finger on the zoom button at the end there is no zoom noise in the waveform.

Piotr Wozniacki May 30th, 2007 07:27 AM

Thanks Claire. Even though I can hear the noise only when using a hot microphone in the V1E's own holder, I guess I'm facing a problem:(.

I assume you were zooming fully, at the max speed.

PS. With my V1E, no noise is recorded when using the stock mic. This might cause difficulties with convincing the Sony servicemen anything is out of order...

Claire Watson May 30th, 2007 07:42 AM

Yes, I was zooming fully, with the Sony W/A lens in place, maybe that would mean the zoom would take more time? Anyway it was the fastest speed it would go. Regarding the stock mic I see your point, this was a big disapointment for me and like others I immediately replaced it with the Rode.

Out of interest what mic are you using now?