mounting add-ons on the V1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old May 20th, 2007, 04:50 AM   #1
Inner Circle

mounting add-ons on the V1

With the HVL-LBP heavy lamp with 970 battery on the coldshoe, and the HVR-DR60 disk on the rear bracket, I'm lacking a place for my Sennheiser receiver; where do you think it could be put (velcro'ed?) on the V1?

Another solution would be a "shoe doubler" bracket; I have one but it'd raise the gravity center and not be stable enough with the lamp and/or disk (see attachment; shown with just a lighweight halogen lamp)...

Yet another solution can be the J-Rode with double shoes (one for a mic shock mount, the other for the wireless receiver). I actually bought one from Jeff, but unfortunately the Azden shock mount that came with it is too long for either of my short-gun microphones (the V1's own or the Edirol). Does anyone know what is the rubbers distance in the Rode SM-3/4 shock mounts? I'd appreciate giving me this info indeed. TIA!
Attached Thumbnails
mounting add-ons on the V1-v1e-rig.jpg  
Old May 20th, 2007, 05:50 PM   #2
Trustee

are you on sticks all the time?

i used to velcro my receiver to the handstrap on my 170. but then again, it wasn't for long periods....

leslie
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #3
Inner Circle

BEC has a bracket thatis for the 200/2100, 15/170 and I am about 99.99999% sure it would work with the Z-1 or V-1. It attaches to the bottom of the camera and then attach the QR plate to it. Now you can either buy the right can for the receiver you have OR velcro the receiver to the bracket. It puts the receiver to the right rear of the camera which does throw some extra to that side but it seems to balance out pretty well. You can use the VF with it as well and if you are handholding it doesn't feel like the camera is so front heavy that you'll break a bone if you're not careful.

Heres a description.
BEC DVCAMB Sidemount Wireless Receiver Bracket - works with Sony DSR-PD170 and VX-2100 and other similar sized camcorders

Don

Last edited by Don Bloom; August 26th, 2009 at 08:24 PM.
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 12:45 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks Don, but I alredady have one bracket that goes between the camera bottom and the QR plate (it can hold the DR60 drive, or receiver - but not both) - adding another would make the whole thing flimsy.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:45 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I've ben wondering - during hand-held shooting, can the DR60 drive be kept in the pocket, thus freeing camera's mounting points, and reducing its weight? I guess it can work in any position, so as long as the pocket is "ventilated" enough, well - it could be viable!

Anyone tried that yet?
Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:48 PM   #6

Yes. I've skydived with it, cable running down my back to DR60 in my jumpsuit.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:52 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Thanks Douglas! I've been playing with my new DR60 for 2 days and am delighted!
Old May 23rd, 2007, 06:00 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Today I was shooting with the DR60 drive in my shirt pocket, and the V1 lightweight and handy again! This is really very, very practical and convenient. My only concern is the firewire port on the V1; those 4-pin sockets are fragile enough to potentially get damaged even in normal use, not to mention a cable being permanently connected and moved around. Any ideas on how to make it safer for long, trouble-free usage? One would think that - the HVR-DR60 drive being designed specifically for the V1 - Sony should have thought of a more elegant way of connecting the two; but then again, with so many configurations possible (DR60 on the coldshoe, or on the bracket, or... in the pocket) - well, a difficult task actually!

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; May 23rd, 2007 at 06:31 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 06:51 AM   #9
Trustee

The DR60 does have a kind of cable clamp for the firewire cable. A big rubber band though mightn't be a bad idea. Still I agree, these firewire cables aren't rugged, using something like a 4 pin Lemo connector and a purpose built cable would have been much more secure, with a price hike to match.

Best mounting arrangement is from BeBob, but at around $450 not cheap.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:03 AM   #10

Thread the firewire cable through the velcro (lengthwise) in the wrist strap of the V1. Stable, strong, protected...it should be plenty.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:07 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant View Post
The DR60 does have a kind of cable clamp for the firewire cable. A big rubber band though mightn't be a bad idea.
Yeah, the DR60-side connection seems much safer, with the 6-pin socket and the cable clamp. This is why I'm more worried about the other cable end - the camera itself! As I said, designing the V1 with DR60 in mind, the Sony enginners shold have thought about some rugged yet elegant firewire port, in it's own compartment (so that all the other sockets don't need to be exposed to wheather all the time the disk is used), and some clamp to keep the strained firewire cable. Oh well, wishful thinking. I guess I'll just tie a ribbon around the handle's base...
Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:10 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle View Post
Thread the firewire cable through the velcro (lengthwise) in the wrist strap of the V1. Stable, strong, protected...it should be plenty.
Yes, that sounds like another good idea. Only I'd probably need a longer cable that the supplied one, which is not a problem (apart from those capacitors or whatever they are at both ends?)

Douglas, would you care to post a picture of your solution? TIA!
Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:23 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Wand View Post
are you on sticks all the time?

i used to velcro my receiver to the handstrap on my 170. but then again, it wasn't for long periods....

leslie
No Leslie, actually handheld fifty-fifty - so this is out of question. But once I find a shock mount for my short mics, the J-rode (holding a shotgun and receiver), the cold-shoe for the light, and the rear bracket for the disk (when on sticks; in my pocket when handheld) is the way to go...

Again: with Rode SM-3, what is the rubbers' distance? Anyone?
Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:29 PM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
No Leslie, actually handheld fifty-fifty - so this is out of question. But once I find a shock mount for my short mics, the J-rode (holding a shotgun and receiver), the cold-shoe for the light, and the rear bracket for the disk (when on sticks; in my pocket when handheld) is the way to go...

Again: with Rode SM-3, what is the rubbers' distance? Anyone?
How about this shcokmount from Beyerdynamic:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...mera_Shoe.html

I use it currently with my JRODE and PD170 and love it. Very sturdy, not too long and very low profile.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:44 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post
How about this shcokmount from Beyerdynamic:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...mera_Shoe.html

I use it currently with my JRODE and PD170 and love it. Very sturdy, not too long and very low profile.
Michael, are you using it with the Sony ECM-NV1 mic? If so, that's what I'm looking for! Even if it's another (longer) mic that you're using, please let me know what is the distance between rubbers in this mount; thanks in advance!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7