SEEKING ADVICE V1U Settings for Performance/Light-Changing Environment... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old May 22nd, 2007, 07:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

SEEKING ADVICE V1U Settings for Performance/Light-Changing Environment...

I'd appreciate any advice on V1U settings for a shoot of a large dance performance, where the light color, intensity, modulation (etc.) will be constantly changing. Final output will be SD, for individual (SD) DVD sale-- I'm inclined to shoot HDV 60i for maximal compatibility and to manage judder. Primary camera will be stationary from back, framing the full-stage - I plan on doing pan/scan in editing, relying upon additional HD resolution.

Where would you set white-balance?
Because of motion, keep sharpness to 3 or 4?
Any considerations?

THANKS!
Greg Schlueter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:21 AM   #2

Set white balance as you normally would. Balance on white on the stage. if you can't, then balance to as neutral as possible; you'll likely end up warm anyway.
I'd increase sharpness in the event you're doing pan/scan in your NLE, which means you're cropping, resulting in a softer image overall. I can't give you a number without experimenting, but for one particular venue we shoot in, we keep sharpness at 6, if that helps. I'd do a test shoot if you can, and then pan/scan your test.
Your plan of shooting 60i is a good one, IMO.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:11 AM   #3
New Boot

Hey Greg, I just shot a hip-hop dance competition where there were many color changes. It was my first gig with the V1U and I shot out of the box, the only thing I changed was exposure and gain settings. I'm in the process of converting a clip for internet viewing, I'll post it as soon as I can.
Wendell Alvero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:16 PM   #4
New Boot

Hey Greg, here is the clip I promised:

http://rapidshare.com/files/32833368...Dance_Clip.mp4

* it was encoded with Apple's H.264 codec so the quality might not be as good as the original, hope this helps!
Wendell Alvero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:56 PM   #5
Major Player

Could not get clip tp play at all
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 02:56 PM   #6
New Boot

Hey Hugh, the clip was encoded using apple's h.264 codec, you need to have a codec to play it or just use apple's quicktime.
Wendell Alvero is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7