Hello New to Forums! Airshow footage!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old May 23rd, 2007, 05:36 AM   #1
New Boot

Hello New to Forums! Airshow footage!!

New to DVI and new to the world if HD video! I purchased a FX7 not to long ago with my reenlistment bonus from the National Guard. So far I love the camera. I purchased the camera to film Airshows and Racing events. So with that said here is a little video I did a while back from an airshow in Columbus, Ga.

http://files.filefront.com//;7042293;/

Let me know what you all think!!

Mike
Mike Cinch Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 01:31 PM   #2
New Boot

Wow

Almost a whole day goes by and 37 views, but no feedback or a hello, LOL well I guess I'll wait a little longer seems like a great info bank here, hope to hear from someone!!

Mike
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:50 PM   #3
Trustee

The only reason I can think why you haven't received feedback even though a lot of downloads register is that the file is very large. It took me almost half an hour to download. Some people might not have the patience.

I can tell by the video that you have experience shooting these events. You predict the motion well so the shots track nicely. I think there might be a few too many zoom adjustments, but one that you did very well was the shot with the skydivers in formation. You tracked them fairly smoothly and the zoom out when their formation spread was perfect.

I know how difficult it is to work at these distances. I think you now know why there are tripod heads that cost over $10,000. What tripod setup do you use? It's not bad, but you are doing fast action at great distances so a few jitters are inevitable. You might want to look into image stabilization software like the free Deshaker plugin for VirtualDub. Your footage looks like it may work well with that software and making some of those shots look perfectly fluid would be heavenly.

Something I can say about the camera is that it is obvious that the chips deal with the sun better than most. Shooting airplanes half a mile away with the sun at their backs is about as much as you can demand from a camera and that footage is still decent. I don't think my eyeballs could deal with some of those shots. Also, the very long reach of the FX7 is unbeatable. You certainly have the right camera for this type of shooting situation. The clarity at those distances is remarkable.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:04 PM   #4
Major Player

Mike, I will echo what Marcus said, that you handle the shots very well, deceptively well in fact because it's difiicult to do it that smoothly. I'm lookin at this on an apple cinema display, and there seemed to be a slight lack of contrast, but these are well done.
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:45 PM   #5
Trustee

I think the lack of contrast is due to the backlit situation. Remember that you are almost always looking at the shadow side of the aircraft with the bright sky as it's surroundings. This is a very challenging shot for many reasons. Some color correction should be able to enhance the appearance. The exposure was good enough to keep a bit of color both in the sky and on the planes. Bringing down the highs and pulling up the lows will make the sky more blue and the planes more colorful. I also think the saturation could be increased.

Does the FX7 have Knee and Black Compensation settings? Black Compress and Low Knee might help a bit to bring everything closer into proper exposure. In this situation, the sky is too bright and the planes too dark. There is little that can be done on location without ruining one or the other, so post color correction is probably the best answer.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:45 PM   #6
New Boot

Thanks for the reply, Sorry about being so inpatient I'm new to the forums and it seemed that alot of people here give feedback and info on a reg basis. But I will learn to wait a little longer before I become impatient again.

Well a little on my shooting style, I have spent the past 5 years shooting Airshows, American Lemans Racing, Drag Racing and Concerts of acts here in Atlanta, (Rolling Stones, George Strait and many more). But I wanted to get into the video side of things and had the cash available to purchase a HDV camera. So I did I decided on the FX7 might not have been the best choice now that I see the RED ONE but it will have to do till I reenlist again in the guard.

My shooting style is with no Pods of any type, Hand held, I was so use to shooting with my Nikor 300mm 2.8 hand held and airshows and races I thought I would try it out with the HDV cam, well as you guys pointed out the jitters and other movement in my shots. I will try with some help on the next go around with the camera, I just remember how much of a pain it is to have a pod with ya and try to move to good spots all the time, I used to shoot only with my 600mm 2.8 in a pod really hate moving a pod and camera around the track all the time! But I discovered something, Fan's they would love to help a photographer out just to get some shots, What I thought were my junks shots my helper LOVED them!! But thats a Different Forum.

I have some footage from the NHRA Southern Nationals, I'm working on! Will post final product of video when completed.

Thanks again guys for you input, if anyone else has any more let me know

Mike
Old May 23rd, 2007, 05:05 PM   #7
Trustee

"My shooting style is with no Pods of any type, Hand held,"

I didn't realize it was handheld, so you must be doing a really good job. You are close enough in steadiness to use stabilization software which will make it perfectly smooth.

The best camera is one that is being used to shoot. Don't wait on a camera unless you aren't ready to shoot anyway. The FX7 is probably perfect for your purposes since it doesn't smear and has such a long effective focal length.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 05:46 PM   #8
New Boot

Yea, I have had to teach myself how to hold my Nikon D2Xs in some concerts that do not allow flash, shooting just right above the the min shooting speed for Lowlight Concerts So it all comes into play with the fx7 now, But I do feel the "Burn" Holding the FX7 all day during the airshows and the farmers tan to show!! LOL But all the footage in that video was hand held.

Mike
Old May 23rd, 2007, 06:01 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Down loading your footage now. About a year ago, I shot an air show in Sacramento, Blue Angels, A10 bomb run, and all. Tried tripod most of show... but wish I had attempted more held only. FX7 has more telephoto the FX1 which I found would have been nice to have in some situations. I'll comment on footage after download.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 06:23 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Followup. I can see you benefited from the extra reach on the camera... Nice work, and nice feel with music/edit combo.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:07 PM   #11
New Boot

Thanks Chris, yea from what I have heard that is one of the good things about the fx7!
Old May 24th, 2007, 04:43 AM   #12
Inner Circle

I was unable to download the file. When I click the download button it just takes me to the main page and nothing happens.

If you could upload a version to a video site like the one I use it would be easier to view. I personally like blip because they let you upload HD. Just keep it under 100mb.

Chris
Old May 25th, 2007, 02:52 PM   #13
Major Player

Mike, same here. Can't download the thing to watch it, sorry.
Chris Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 04:31 PM   #14
New Boot

Hmm, the Download link must have expired, Being that I'm getting ready for a concert here at our night club and this wa my few mins I get to get away from the idots with the National Touring acts, I will try to upload it sunday night and post a new link.

Mike
Mike Cinch Perry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7