FX7 microphone. Any good? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:12 PM   #1
Major Player

FX7 microphone. Any good?

Hello all.

I keep going back and forth between the FX7 and the HV20. Both have advantages over the other. I want the physical size of the FX7 along with some of its controls, but I also want the PQ of the HV20 not to mention its lower cost. If only Canon or Sony were to produce an HDV camcorder that was the best of those two previously mentioned cams for a price of $1400-$1800. But I digress....

I know that the microphone on the FX7 is stereo and that a cold shoe is available for some other microphone. My question is this: Is the microphone on the FX7 the type that will suddenly cut its sound volume whenever a sharp sound source is introduced? I had an old RCA videocamera years ago that would cut out the sound and then gradually bring it back up in volume several times when shooting. The result was one of frustration as the sound of the video would disappear for no apparent reason and then slowly increase in volume until it was back to what it was originally. I don't know if it was a condenser microphone or whatever, but I don't ever want to have that again.

Also, how is the frequency range of the microphone? How well does it pick up the lowest frequencies?

Thanks.
Mike
Mike Burgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:51 PM   #2

Hi Mike, welcome to DVInfo.
Mic's don't actually "cut sound" but rather receive sound. There often is pre-record processing done in the camera such as a compressor or limiter, and this is what automatically controls levels on input/record. Both Sony and Canon have auto-level functions. I can't access an HV20 right now, but I believe it (like Sony) allows you to turn off the auto level. Both allow for a high impedance mic input. Sony has a cold shoe that can mount another mic.
Mics are full range on both, they'll record somewhat similarly.
All in all, it boils down to the form factor that best fits your needs. Both are great cams, IMO.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 04:46 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Douglas.
Mike Burgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 04:41 PM   #4
New Boot

Well, I did some filming of the Sothern Nationals (Drag Racing) and didnt notice any diff with the sound it just peak out being that the cars are out of this worl loud (Top Fuel Loudest) But I did notice and please forgive me if this is not the correct way to do this but this is what I did!

First 63min tape put it on auto Audio control to see how it would control the sound, noticed in the lcd that is pretty much stayed peaked when the cars where on the track (100 Yards or so!)

2nd 63min tape Manual auto control turned down the sound to where when the cars were on the track and burning out down to half, so no peaking but there was some but not much. But here is where I made my changes, Put the audio file from the video into Cubase SX and used the compressor and multiband eq to give the sound #1 Cut the real high peaks out (Hi Freqs)
#2 Deeper base for sound in my home 7.1, then slaped in in vegas and rendered to bluray and slaped in in my player and bang looked and sounded just like the ESPN HD version but in 1080i.

So if that was not the correct way to do this please tell me of a better way to do it but so far it worked for me and love the sound quality!!

Mike
Mike Cinch Perry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7