Light for V1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old May 24th, 2007, 11:05 AM   #1
Major Player

Light for V1

I need a recommendation for a light for my V1
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 12:05 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I really like my IDX X3 Led light, and I'm using it on the V1 because i already had it, because otherwise I guess I'd get the new Sony HVL-LBP Led Light, because there's no need for battery adapters like the bebob coco dvl...
Sergio Barbosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 12:14 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi there

A PAG C6 with a 35watt bulb is pretty good...I use this with my Z1..

Cheers
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 12:54 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Watkins View Post
Hi there

A PAG C6 with a 35watt bulb is pretty good...I use this with my Z1..

Cheers
Gareth
I love my PAG C6 also.
I just wish that PAG would develop a C6 type light that can take Sony type camera batteries, and eliminate the need for larger brick style battereies.
Old May 24th, 2007, 02:29 PM   #5
Trustee

Hi
What about this: Sony HVL-LBP (HVLLBP) LED on-camera light? Anyone tried this light? I would like to use it for my FX7 camera?

Stelios
Old May 24th, 2007, 02:45 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelios Christofides View Post
Hi
What about this: Sony HVL-LBP (HVLLBP) LED on-camera light? Anyone tried this light? I would like to use it for my FX7 camera?
I'm curious about this as well. I would think that LEDs would help you get a lot more life out of your batteries, and as an added bonus, they wouldn't get so darn hot. Then again, LEDs might not be able to produce enough light all on their own.
Shawn McCalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 04:55 PM   #7
Major Player

I use the bescor Light and battery pack 50 & 100 watt
works great for wedding receptions.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...d_Battery.html
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 06:19 PM   #8
Major Player

March 21st thread

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=89473

I put some sample shots of the light in above thread.

I really love this light for reception work, as it gives you the choice of three different lenses for different jobs, diffuse, normal or spot.

Cheers Vaughan
Vaughan Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 08:40 PM   #9
Major Player

I just got the SONY light this week. It's big and is quite heavy, especially if you use a Sony 970 battery on it. I think it'll work well, though haven't tested it in a working type shoot yet. I might add that even at full power, it'll need to be turned all the way up in a very dark room with the V1. I only wish it wasn't color balanced for daylight, as most of all my LED light use would be interior and with other tungsten lights.

I would think this would make a nice 'eye light" for exterior stand-ups as well. To be honest, even inside with tungsten lights, it mixes pretty well, even though it's a much "bluer" looking light. To my eyes, the color warms up a bit when you dim it down.

The ability to dim it is great, it doesn't get too hot and the 970 battery should last a long time. (There are 4 green LEDs on the side by the dimmer knob that show how much life is left in the batt.), a nice touch!

Overall I'm very pleased with it.
Paul Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 02:20 AM   #10
Trustee

Paul, in the pictures I saw there was a cable coming out from the back of the light. Can you tell us what is that for? When you say heavy, how heavy is that? I mean does it affect the way you shoot with the camera? How much did you pay by the way?

Stelios
Old May 25th, 2007, 03:05 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Stelios, you have 2 options with this lamp: either put a battery on it (and it's then where it's really heavy), or use an adaptor with the cable you mention. Then you can fix the battery elsewhere (like on the bracket in the rear of the camera, to balance it better).
Old May 25th, 2007, 06:13 AM   #12
Major Player

Stelios,

Piotr beat me to it. The extended cable is an option you have to move the battery away from the light. Thus making the front of the cam less heavy. How heavy is it depends on how you mount the battery. I tried to use my smaller NP-F570 battery but it won't work on the light! It won't mount to it. I also mount my wireless receivers to the camera so with the light AND wireless receivers, it can be fatiguing for extended handheld shots. I also have a MIGHTY WONDERCAM shoulder support and if I mount the extra stuff to the back part of that it helps the balance considerably.

I paid $475 US for it. I think it lists for $499.
Old May 25th, 2007, 06:21 AM   #13
Major Player

One other plus I should mention is the coverage is very even when you don't have the "intensifier" screen down. I like the non-blocked light the best. (All flip downs out) with the V1 it gives you the brightest most even light. If you lower the diffuser screen, it looks even smoother, almost like shooting with a Chimera, nice soft shadows, but it cuts the light level some. The third drop down option is a "focuser" which gives a strong spotlight effect. This one looks like the on-cam lights of old, with a noticeable hot spot in the middle of the frame. The other two project light beyond the edges of the 16x9 frame, this one is more like a 4x3 hotspot in the middle. I guess if you need to zoom in, this is the one to use.

I had my wife point it at me, it's REALLY bright to have in your face! I think if possible, having someone hold it up and off to the side 3/4 would be perfect. That way it's not RIGHT in someones face and it'll look much better on the subject.
Old May 25th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #14
Trustee

Thanks for the info guys.
At the moment I have the Sony HVL-20DW2 light http://www.abtelectronics.com/product/4399.html
I suppose this new one will be much better.

Stelios
Old May 28th, 2007, 02:08 PM   #15
Major Player

Using that Sony light indoor without a 3200K is wrong, does not mix well, you will need to set your camera to outdoor white balance or auto so that your subject will have the proper white balance, but then the background will be way too red or oversatured, I don't recommend using a 5600K light indoor without a 3200K filter.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7