V1U for DVD bound Documentary? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old May 28th, 2007, 02:21 PM   #1
Trustee

V1U for DVD bound Documentary?

I am looking for a small, professional HDV progessive camera for a documentary that will go to DVD.

I have used for several years a PD150 and now also use a JVC HD110.

However, I am going to be traveling and need everything as small and light as possible, so the JVC camera is not appropriate.

I will be shooting backstage, on stage, in dressing rooms, etc. Is the V1U a bad choice for semi-lowlight situations.

I will be in Russian and Baltic countriess, so I will emphasize the size factor is important. How do you suppose the V1U would be... or should I look at the Canon camera, or other? Thanks!
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 04:17 PM   #2
Major Player

I'm using it for two documentaries right now - a more formal documentary largely consisting of set piece interviews and location/image shots, and a fly-on-the-wall documentary, where it needs to go in fast-moving situations, and it's been fine for both. I also have a little HV10 (which I'll be soon swapping out for a HV20 which does 24P) for those fluid situations where I need a decent image but want to look like a tourist. Other than that, the V1U has been excellent.

My 0.02c worth.

Greg
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 06:59 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker View Post
I am looking for a small, professional HDV progessive camera for a documentary that will go to DVD.

I have used for several years a PD150 and now also use a JVC HD110.

However, I am going to be traveling and need everything as small and light as possible, so the JVC camera is not appropriate.

I will be shooting backstage, on stage, in dressing rooms, etc. Is the V1U a bad choice for semi-lowlight situations.

I will be in Russian and Baltic countriess, so I will emphasize the size factor is important. How do you suppose the V1U would be... or should I look at the Canon camera, or other? Thanks!
If you're just running and gunning, you might give serious consideration to the HV20. It's small, compact and has 24P. An excellent choice if you don't need a lot of zoom or advance prosumer features, like controling the gain. If you do need the extra features, I think you're fine with the V1.
John Bosco Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 09:20 AM   #4
Inner Circle

As a former PD150 owner, now V1, I'd say you'd find a V1 to be very similar to the PD150/170 in terms of size, layout, and functions. Plus, your batteries, zoom control, and case will fit. Do you like the Sony prosumer design philosophy? If so, the V1 is a fine example.

There are some notable improvements, including the histogram display, programmable buttons, storable picture profiles, more access to deeper camera setting than CP gave you.

The primary challenge in going from a 150 to V1 is learning what techniques work best for existing light. The 150/170 had such amazing low light performance. Lots of info in the threads here provide some good guidance, I'd highly recommend some experimenting and benchmarking at home before you go on the road.

I suppose the second challenge is one all HDV cameras show - keep the darn image in focus! (peaking helps).

Just back from 4 days of shooting interviews and b-roll for a doc, I'm pretty satisfied with the V1
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7