slo mo on v1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old May 30th, 2007, 12:21 PM   #1
New Boot

slo mo on v1

hi, can anyone out there please give me advice on the slo mo effect from the v1, i need to shoot some slo motion in a film and i am hoping to do it with the v1 instead of a hvx 200, would it work better doing it in post or can the in camera effect be used, i tried some test footage and it looked awful like really compressed footage.
any help much appreciated
Tony Wiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #2
New Boot

That's pretty much it Tony.. The slo-mo on the V1 will have your footage looking like its been compressed.. . A dramatic degrade from regular 60I or 24p.
Charles Paige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 06:22 PM   #3
Trustee

I just spent this last weekend exploring my V1's slow motion capability. I used only the shortest duration, which is supposed to give the highest quality. Everything was shot outdoors in bright sunlight.
Conclusion: If I want a slo mo clip, I will shoot at 1/250 sec. and slow it down in post with AE Timewarp. Watching the V1 recorded slo mo on a big HD monitor was a real disappointment. The images were not only very soft, but seemed to have an awful lot of grain/noise as well. I have seen Sony's DVD output of the in camera slo mo on a V1 demo DVD- it looked pretty good. I think they must have tweaked it considerably because I was not able to duplicate that quality in camera.
If anyone has some tips for doing it better, I'd love to hear them.
Robert Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 06:30 PM   #4

Bear in mind guys....resolution is halved and quartered in slomo.
There are a number of early posts on this, and even in the V1 training DVD, it's suggested that you not expect stellar HD results, but it's pretty good for SD. The Sony marketing DVD doesn't have it tweaked all that much; you're seeing it in SD, not HD, which is why it looks reasonably good.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 07:13 PM   #5
Trustee

DSE-
That is a good point. I'll capture some of the clips to an SD timeline and look again.
Robert Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 11:17 PM   #6
New Boot

thanks for the reply folks
Tony Wiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 01:16 PM   #7
Regular Crew

You could use a plugin like twixtor...

revisionfx.com
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 05:41 PM   #8
HDV Cinema

Has anyone tried passing 1080i60 through software -- unknown -- that line-doubled each field to create 1080p60. (yes, it would be slightly soft.)

Now in theory, this could be placed in a 24p or 30p timeline and be slo-mo.

Might be able to this all in Vegas.

720p60/480p60 is used with 720p24 to create slo-mo using the same idea.
Old June 1st, 2007, 04:15 AM   #9
Trustee

Steve, it has been done and there was a post with footage here a couple of weeks ago. Sorry, but I can't seem to remember which forum. I can say that it looked quite good. The guy used a fairly fast shutter speed and did exactly what you describe in Vegas.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 05:34 AM   #10
HDV Cinema

Thank you. I'll start searching.

Turns-out there is another reason to want to convert 1080i60 to synthetic 1080p60. If this can be done, the JVC's HD7 video (1080i60) could be converted to 720p60 for mixing with 720p60.
Old June 1st, 2007, 06:44 AM   #11
Inner Circle

It might also be worth pointing out that you need much more light to shoot slo-mo, as against making it in post. Upping the shutter speed could be getting you into the gain-up mode without you realising, and this will surely degrade your results.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7