FX7 and ATR55 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old June 2nd, 2007, 03:04 AM   #1
New Boot

FX7 and ATR55

I just received my Audio Technica ATR55 yesterday, to go with my FX7. Just a couple of puzzles, if anyone can advise:

1) I note when the mic is on normal, middle switch position, the sound is of course mono but appears equally on both left and right channels, but on tele it's only in the left channel. The mic plug is mono only, so what's going on? Is the camera automatically sending the sound to both channels? If so, why doesn't it do it on tele?

2) The combined setup seems to be very sensitive to the sounds of hand movements on the camera. I didn't expect that with a shotgun, but do you think something like this http://www.dv247.com/invt/29568/ the Rode shockmount would be worthwhile?

Many thanks chaps.
Alan Dunlop-Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 03:14 AM   #2
Major Player

Alan
Can't tell you much about the zoom mic as I've never used one, but an isolation mount for an onboard shotgun mic is always a good idea.
Try to get the full isolation type with the rubber bandy looking suspension mounts if at all possible. The ones with the double layer (i.e. a suspended intermediate ring in between two layers of rubber bands) provide more insulation/isolation from camera noise.
'course, the best way of all is to have the mic on a boom and off the camera completely...
HTH
Cheers
Chris
Chris Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 05:23 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Chris.

Thanks, I thought it might need the isolation. The Rode mount in my link appears to hold the mic in a criss cross of rubber bands. I agree about the boom of course, but I don't always have anybody else with me to hold it.

Alan
Alan Dunlop-Walters is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7