DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   argh! Image moving vertically- (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/97013-argh-image-moving-vertically.html)

Mark OConnell June 20th, 2007 07:00 PM

argh! Image moving vertically-

Doing a shoot today with the V1U when the image started moving up and down. At first I thought I'd bumped the tripod, that's kind of what it looked like, but it wasn't the tripod. The picture was actually rolling up a bit and then back down. When zoomed way in it was really pronounced. Wide shots were generally OK. Any ideas?

Marcus Marchesseault June 20th, 2007 07:40 PM

The manual of most cameras with image stabilization recommends to turn off the stabilizer when shooting from a tripod. This is likely the cause of your problem. The stabilizer is getting fooled and compensating for movement that isn't real.

Mark OConnell June 20th, 2007 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault (Post 700047)
The manual of most cameras with image stabilization recommends to turn off the stabilizer when shooting from a tripod. This is likely the cause of your problem. The stabilizer is getting fooled and compensating for movement that isn't real.

I don't know Marcus, I've been shooting with this camera for several months and it's never happened before.

Mark OConnell June 20th, 2007 08:14 PM

OK. I just went and messed with it a bit and the movement does look a lot like that from the stabilizer. But if that's it what would cause it to freak out that way? Also, before I start rejoicing in the idea that the problem isn't with the camera but rather with the monkey, are there any other possible causes?

thanks-

Mark OConnell June 22nd, 2007 04:58 PM

The vertical motion returned the next day. No idea what could cause it. Camera is currently at the Sony service site in NJ. I'll let you know what they say.

Max Volki June 23rd, 2007 12:30 AM

Mark,

I reported this "problem" before

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=88427

When Steady shot is OFF, it’s OK
and it never bothered me then, actually shooting

volki

Mark OConnell June 23rd, 2007 03:10 PM

Max, what you've described fits my experience almost perfectly. Maybe it is just steady shot. I have to wonder though why it never happened before? I've been doing pretty much exactly the same shots for the same program in the same location under the same conditions for the last four months and this hasn't happened until this week. I sent a short clip of the movement to the Sony guys in NJ and they said I should send in the camera. If they end up saying the same thing that the guys in europe did this will have been a big hassle for nothing. Anyway, nothing to do at this point but to wait to hear from them.

Matthew Greene June 24th, 2007 02:10 AM

Did you happen to be using any kind of radio device near the camera such as a walkie talkie or other comm device?

Mark OConnell June 24th, 2007 12:50 PM

Wireless mic-

Max Volki June 25th, 2007 12:40 AM

At that time, in that room, HD-TV (CRT!!) was on, 3 ft away,
Also a Deepfreeze and some computers, 10 ft away

Well, a CRT could have some influence?

But, 2 weeks later, I went on a trip abroad and had the V1 behind the windscreen in a fast moving car, on a car-tripod installed, Steady Shot was ON. I took some trial-shoots, passing landmarks, road signs, and so on.

Surprisingly good pictures, a bit dark, because windscreen is a bit tainted,
Very sharp, no artefacts, even at the side, where road signs, bridges, bushes, flashed by

Even the sometimes very noticeable vibrations where damped so good, that in the pictures, previewed on the “big” TV with HDMI-in, was only very slight vertical movement visible at the very top of the picture

So Sony’s recommendation, Steady shot always OFF, while using a tripod, depend on different circumstances.

volki