Mic Light on HVR-V1U? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old August 15th, 2007, 07:35 AM   #16
Trustee

The only problem with the mic light and LED lights in general is that they are very bright in intensity to the person on the other end.

This is where Tungsten lighting works a bit better, as it's not as harsh on the eyes. The only problem with using any on camera lighting is that it can be distrubtive to individuals being shot (this is where diffusing the light can help a bit).

Off axis (off cmaera, boom pole lighitng with assistant) lighting works best for all involved in shooting, as you get a more natural light that isn't distracting for those involved.

Now that being said, I shoot a lot of receptions and rely on my on camera light for fill lighting (30 watts on handheld roaming camera and 100w dimmable on stationary camera), and am constantly searching for good alternative lighting solutions (especially self powered solutions, like the Mic Light, VidLed, or Sony HVL-LVP lights.

The only thing that I don't liek about the Mic Light is that it mounts on the camera in the manner of attaching to your camera shotgun mic, and as such is right in the eyes of guests being recorded. I have seen one in action in person at a local video meeting, and it made me squint constantly, and I'm used to using and seeing lighting. Worried me too much about what guests reactions would be, and as such I didn't pick one up.

I love the idea and simplicity of the light, but for run and gun subtle lgithing environments (like a wedding reception) it can't work for me.

Now in another instance (like Jewish Ceremony) it works nice mounted on the bottom side of the Huppa, and lights up the ceremony area nicely and discreately.

So for what it was designed for (on camera) I think it's too distracting, but for otehr more subtle uses, it works great.
Old August 15th, 2007, 08:53 AM   #17
Trustee

Simplest solution is to mount the light on a Noga arm, it's still going to be bright but at least it's not in line with the lens. We use the Hyperlights from Photon Baird a lot and being fluro they're very diffused so no problems with them. Some of the LED lights are very intense sources of light so getting them off axis does help.
The Zylights can be fitted with a softbox which is the ultimate solution.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 08:55 AM   #18
Regular Crew

"golden" Flolight

Marc,

Why don’t you say this on your HP, about the better LED’s and so?

But, what about this?

The product is $99 and the shipping via UPS is $96 for a total of $195 USD, we do take Visa and MC.
unquote

You didn’t say, why you tried to charge 96 $ for postal charges
The people in Hong Kong can send it for a few dollars (3 UK-£)

Is the US-West coast so much further away from Europe as Hong Kong?

Volki, Switzerland
Max Volki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 02:48 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Hello Max

I purchased one UFO light from china and will modify it to get a ring light (around the lens).
Probably the only thing left from the orginal device will be the printed circuit board.
Eventually a will change the leds, the housing, add a plastic diffuser.
leds are pretty cheap, but when multiplying by 48, it sadds up and start to cost.
if you add the work done (if any) i am not surprised the guy is selling for more than 100$. (and hey, video stuff sounds more classy than camping stuff).
the 90$ for shipment is hardly understandable....
if i got some success i will make several ring light.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 07:10 PM   #20
Tourist

Shipping Charges To Europe For MicLight

Hi Max,

I'm not sure where the $96 came from for shipping to Europe. We send everything UPS and it's more than China post but shouldn't be that much more.

Sorry about the bad shipping quote. We're starting to send smaller, less delicate packages via U.S. post which should be significanty cheaper. Drop me an email with your shipping address and I will look into it for you.

Best Regards,
Mark Ditmanson
Flolight/Prompter People
mark@prompterpeople.com
Mark Ditmanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 09:50 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Mark,

If the left hand in your firm doesn’t now, what the right hand doe’s........

Quote your mail to me:

Max,
I think you are referring to the Mic Lite. We do not currently have a hot shoe mount for that, that product is being developed. The product is $99 and the shipping via UPS is $96 for a total of $195 USD, we do take Visa and MC. Thank you,
Chuck Majewski
Sales and Support
PrompterPeople/Flolight
126 Dillon Ave. , Campbell, CA 95008 (408)866-9100 ext. 102 (408)866-9110 fax
Unquote

I think our community understood the way you do business in your company, so you mustn’t explain it anymore

volki
Max Volki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 04:43 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ditmanson View Post
I'm not sure where the $96 came from for shipping to Europe.
Then read Max's post where he quotes *your* employee Chuck Majewski state it is US$96 for shipping via UPS.

The Flolight weighs approx. 4oz and a similar item of that weight shipped to Europe by a large and well-know NYC dealer costs approx. US$35.

I suggest Mark that a proper and honest explanation, here, of your attempted "US$96" shipping would be good to maintain credibility & future sales.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 11:57 PM   #23
Inner Circle

'OO'PS shipping - 'nuf said.

UPS and FedEx are prohibitive for international shipments - USPS/postal service is far better, as I'm sure Mark and Chuck will find out - shipping is an art, and it takes some time to master the balance between speed, cost and actually getting the item delivered!

I don't even bother to check UPS and FE if shipping overseas from the US anymore, and I always insist on full value of insurance...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 03:52 AM   #24
Major Player

Max,

Maybe the shipping is an error or not an error, or maybe they are trying to stick it to the overseas customer as you suggest. In either case it won't hurt to hear out Mark. Plus, he claims that he is looking to ship his product via the post office.

My experience with overseas shipping is that UPS and FedEx were way more expensive than postal rates. I ordered the camping light, not for video, and I noticed that it came in my mailbox. Hense, that explains why the shipping was so cheap.

Of course, it's hard to believe that it would cost $96 to ship to your country. Personally, I think the Mic Light should not sell for more than $50, and shipping should not be more than $10 domestically and $20 internationally.
John Bosco Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 04:33 PM   #25
Major Player

I have to agree

I have to agree with Max. I ordered one of the cheap lights from Hong Kong (works as a fill and I also can use for camping), and was amazed to see it got here for $5. This is obviously barring amenities like insurance and such, but is a far cry from the larger quoted number.
Josh Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 10:12 PM   #26
New Boot

Mic Light purchaser

I purchased one last week and it arrived yesterday. I am pleasantly suprised. It is exactly what they said it was. It is not the UFO light as people are speculating. I will be posting my video review within the next week. Hopefully that wil put a lot of speculation to rest.Happy with my purchase!!!!!
Walter R. Scott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7