Pull Focus via “Push Auto Focus Button” at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old June 30th, 2007, 08:57 AM   #1
New Boot

Pull Focus via “Push Auto Focus Button”

Has anyone been successful with pull focus via “Push Auto Focus Button” on the FX7?

The FX7 manual describes the “Push Auto Focus” button as a way to shift focus smoothly from one subject to the next; however, trying it the camera remains focused on original subject and the only way to get the camera to shift focus to next subject is to reframe the out-of-focus subject to take up the majority of the frame. It almost seems to do this one would have to be able to set focus points in the frame to tell the camera what to focus on.

I would be happy just using the focus ring to manually pull focus, but as it is a variable speed focus ring, this is not always as smooth as when one could mark fixed focus points on the lens.

Any good techniques to achieve a smooth/quick pull focus with the V1/FX7? Perhaps someone has a suggestion to get the issue into focus for me. OK, dumb pun!
Jonah Gouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 09:26 AM   #2
Major Player

Shot Transition will do it for you.

Push Auto Focus is a funtion used when the cam is in manual focus mode and you want to instantly access Autofocus and then let go of the PAF button and it's locked back in manual focus. Obviously with Autofocus engaged whiel the PAF button is depressed it will just engage it's autofoucs algorithm which will have a strong element of centre-weighting to it.

As i said, Shot Transition i think will be your friend here.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 10:10 AM   #3
New Boot

Very Nice! One can even preset exposure and zoom if need be.

How did I miss this?

Thanks, Stu. All in focus, now.
Jonah Gouin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7