Problems with: Mixed fps, HDV to SD, HVR-V1U Workarounds at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old July 2nd, 2007, 03:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Problems with: Mixed fps, HDV to SD, HVR-V1U Workarounds

Hi Everyone,

So, I've gotten myself into a bit of an editing mess. Forgive me if I sound confused or unclear about any of this; I'm still trying to wrap my head around everything. I could use any help and advice that anyone has!

So here's the deal.

I have two problems. Or, really, three. I shot footage with the Sony HVR-V1U in 24A and 30p (by accident. I swear it was set to 24A. Didn't figure this out until yesterday). The three problems are:

1) I messed up my workaround and need to figure out how to fix it
2) I have two frame rates, much to my dismay. 24A and 30p, all encoded in a HDV1080i60 stream.
3) Converting HDV to SD was horrifying yesterday. Cadence problems, interlacing, flickering, noise and TERRIBLE quality.

Just so that everyone knows right off, I have a delivery date of July 9th and it needs to be delivered in SD (DVD) for projection on big screen. Eventually it also needs to be online.

So. Here we go.

1) I messed up my workaround and need to figure out how to fix it

Using information in this thread: <a href="http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=83651">DVInfo</a>

And this thread: <a href="http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=87189">DvInfo Again</a>

I decided to use this workaround: > V1U Workaround

I captured HDV 1080i60
Edited in a 1080i60 timeline

Went to finish the workaround by:
-Creating new sequence set to Photo-JPG 75%
-Paste project into new sequence, render, export, open in CinemaTools and Reverse Telecine

And I realized that I had to reverse the INDIVIDUAL clips, not the project. One good thing (I think) is that the footage is 24A, so the A frame should be the very first frame of every clip. Unfortunately I tried reversing a few clips and they looked very odd.

So to fix this do I go in and reverse all the clips I'm using individually, then reconnect my media to those new files? If so, what timeline do I do this in?

----------------

2) I have two frame rates, much to my dismay. 24A and 30p, all encoded in a HDV1080i60 stream.

How do I safely mix these? I'm lost here. I've never mixed frame rates, and this is my first time working with HDV on top of the fact that FCP doesn't support this camera. Do convert one frame rate to the other? Or?

-----------

3) Converting HDV to SD was horrifying yesterday. Cadence problems, interlacing, flickering, noise and TERRIBLE quality. I have a delivery date of July 9th, and to make sure I had something ready, I wanted to get a backup plan together, so yesterday I decided to just ignore the frame judder and try to just convert my current timeline (HDV1080i60) to SD.

To convert to SD I simply created a new timeline that was SD/DV/NTSC. Copy/pasted everything from the HDV timeline into it, rendered and took a look.

It was pretty terrible. The image quality was very poor, there was tons of noise/flickering in many of the clips, not to mention the obvious pulldown issues that were already there.

To fix the noise/flickering issues in the clips, a friend suggested that I export Uncompressed QT then create .Tiff files of each frame, import those into Shake and fix it in there. I'm not familiar with Shake, but my friend offered to show me how to do this.

One thing I totally didn't get was the fact that my 30p footage looked like it had interlacing problems when it shouldn't. My camera shoots progressive.

----------

Seriously. There has to be a better way to fix all these problems. I did some searching and found a few things.

Would re-capturing my used media as AIC and using the above workaround solve some of my problems? Any and all advice is appreciated.

Last edited by Douglas Spotted Eagle; July 2nd, 2007 at 03:13 PM. Reason: fixed link, removed link to outside forum community
Katie Mims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 03:37 PM   #2

30p to 24p isn't going to fly...are you planning on delivering 30p overall? That would likely be your best option, next to converting everything to 60i.
What are you using for a monitor? that might explain some of what you're seeing.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 06:03 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle View Post
30p to 24p isn't going to fly...are you planning on delivering 30p overall? That would likely be your best option, next to converting everything to 60i.
What are you using for a monitor? that might explain some of what you're seeing.
I'm delivering on a normal DVD for projection onto a large screen, so I guess I'll deliver on whichever looks best. I'm guessing that would be 30p?

I use my PowerBookG4 for a monitor, but I have made a DVD yesterday and played it on a friend's good quality HD TV. I'm switching to a real system today, and will have dual-monitors plus a NTSC monitor.

I just got Final Cut Studio 2 in the mail today. Will that help any of this? I've read some articles that suggest new codecs might be better quality. The idea of upgrading during a project is more than a little scarry though. I've had disasters doing that before.
Katie Mims is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7