Question about Steve Mullen's 24P workflow suggestion - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old July 17th, 2007, 08:21 PM   #16
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Irving View Post

That's great... So then is it still best to shoot in 24A mode, or is it best to use the regular 24P (non-A) mode? From my understanding, I didn't think 24A was 3:2 or 2:3:3:2.
I must defer on that question to Steve if he's still around. One of those cameras/modes puts out the 24P-DVD style 3:2 pulldown flags. Maker treats it properly in that case because its built in to the mpeg decoder to ignore the pulldown. In any case I would try a few samples with motion and look closely, and step through, the output frames. It should be even steps with no blended frames or skipped frames. The update we are doing is mainly to address the HV20 which uses 3:2 pulldown but no pulldown flags apparently.
Marcus van Bavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 12:27 AM   #17
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Irving View Post
I assume it would be exact if I shot it in 24p but I shot it using the 24pA mode which isn't exactly 3:2 pulldown.
Both V1 24fps modes use 2-3 pulldown.

However, Marcus reminds me that the 60i to 24p conversion was originally designed to deinterlace plain-old 60i and create 24fps. That won't work with the V1's 24p modes!

The V1's 24p mode is a bit of a pain in the ***. Apple didn't fix CinemaTools to do batch. Nor released V1 support. And nothing from Avid.

Marcus when do expect HD 2-3 removal to be done?
Old July 18th, 2007, 12:50 AM   #18
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
Both V1 24fps modes use 2-3 pulldown.

However, Marcus reminds me that the 60i to 24p conversion was originally designed to deinterlace plain-old 60i and create 24fps. That won't work with the V1's 24p modes!

The V1's 24p mode is a bit of a pain in the ***. Apple didn't fix CinemaTools to do batch. Nor released V1 support. And nothing from Avid.

Marcus when do expect HD 2-3 removal to be done?
In Windows, I have it working, it just needs to be released (in about a week). I can give you a beta copy if you want to try it. There's a minor issue with audio offset.

The Mac version is going to be more problematic. Do you think people would want to capture with FCP into the HDV/Quicktime format and then remove the pulldown? That's easier for me than processing .m2t files directly.
Marcus van Bavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 10:54 AM   #19
Major Player

I wonder how long until we get native support in Adobe, Avid, Newtek SE, or if I should just switch over completely to Vegas right now.
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 03:42 PM   #20
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus van Bavel View Post
I can give you a beta copy if you want to try it.
Please -- I simply want to update my eBooks.

Quote:
Do you think people would want to capture with FCP into the HDV/Quicktime format and then remove the pulldown? That's easier for me than processing .m2t files directly.
I think folks want all of FCP's TC Capture capabilities. Once they are HDV "movie" files -- like CinemaTools, your app can be pointed to the or a Capture Folder and process ALL files. As each file is finished -- optionally it can replace the original file.

Thus one simply lets it run overnight and you should be safe that you will not run out of space.

Be sure to add a note that once one has real 1080p24 -- its TC will no longer match that on the tapes. Any kind of Batch Recapture will not work. However, if each processed clip begins with the clip's TC FROM THE HDV.mov -- one could at least "find" the clip on tape.

Of course, a Premium version could build a data file and would include an application that would use this file, plus an exported EDL, to output a Batch Capture List that pointed to the original tape TCs. Import that into FCP and one could recapture.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7