Sony NPF970 battery - unexpected drop in capacity at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old September 12th, 2007, 05:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony NPF970 battery - unexpected drop in capacity

I have an NPF970 battery that is less than 6 months old, and probably charged fewer than 15 times. All of my 970 batteries charge up to about 350 minutes operating time as shown on the FX1. This one has suddenly dropped to 170 minutes upon full charging.

Is there anything I can do to "reset" this battery? I find it hard to believe that the capacity dropped off so quickly. I've had other 970 batteries for years and they still charge up to well over 300 minutes. Is it also a coincidence that the capacity is almost exactly half of what I would expect? Perhaps a cell is damaged inside?

Thanks for any insight.
Eric Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 09:35 PM   #2
Inner Circle

sounds exactly like a cell blew. Once that happens you can't fix it, at least as far as I know. it happened to one of my Lenmar batteries a few ago and since it was still within the factory 2 year warrany they replaced it N/C.
Perhaps you could check to see if Sony will replace it for you.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 01:40 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Don. That's what I suspected. It's actually a bit worrisome because of all these horror stories about exploding laptop and cellphone batteries. I might just retire this one or put it up on fleaBay.

Darn, these original Sony batteries don't come cheap. I might have to give those $25 OEM batteries a try and hope they don't blow up!

Cheers,
Eric Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 06:19 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Eric,
Check to see if Sony will replace it for you considering the age they might.
Doubtful but they might. That way you'll save yourself some bucks!
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 06:49 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Yeah, just fill out a sony replacement slip, send it in, and see if Sony feels that sending you a new one might be a good publicity gesture.
Old September 19th, 2007, 08:51 AM   #6
Major Player

Just a thought, have you used the battery in another type of Sony camera.

One of mine went funky when I used it in a VX2000, the Z1 reports odd times remaining now, but it still runs for longer than expected. The charger has the same time reporting problems on this battery.

Also I can recommend the Swit version of the 970 - the S-8970
It's nicely made and run a little longer than my Sony 970s seem to go.
Duncan Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 11:07 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Gan View Post
Darn, these original Sony batteries don't come cheap. I might have to give those $25 OEM batteries a try and hope they don't blow up!
Make sure you buy enough, 2 out the 4 i got with my Z1 cam bought used(i was warned in advance) can only be used to power a light..and only one of the two remaining lasts as long as the original 970.
And one of the OEM one's often stop working when i use it with my Bebob light/transformer combo, the original again never does that.

So while the Sony's might be a bit to expensive they also seem to be a bit better than the OEM one's i've got, after all batteries for thees smaller cams arent even close to what the AB/IDX/PAG systems cost...even if you buy original sony.
Christian Magnussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 03:13 PM   #8
Inner Circle

i fixed already several batteries like this one.
if you do not need it, i will take it.
using a cutter you just cust all around (where the cover is glued to the plate).
Take care , it is an easy step to cut one finger or two.
then you check for the cells and replace the faulty one(s).
you wrap it back with scotch tape.
it will be not really pretty , but it works.
sometimes i just replaced all elements keeping just the case and electronic.

For sure, using it with a damaged cell can cause the other element to burn or explode, so stop using it until it is fixed.
I always try to charge my batteries into a metallic can , so in case of problem, there is no danger.
i got once an element that burned (it was not even charging, just stored on a table ), and it is pretty frightening to know it could happen at night when you sleep or in the plane you are flying with (how many camera in a plane going to Cancun ?)
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 05:15 PM   #9
Trustee

I can confirm what Giroud is saying here. We put a faulty battery on a shelf and sometime later noticed there was a burn mark on the shelf and a hole melted in the side of the battery. I think care needs to be taken even when disposing of these things as well as storing / transporting them.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1