Wireless Reciever Mount? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old September 14th, 2007, 02:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Wireless Reciever Mount?

I'm looking for a place to mount my wireless receiver. I have a Senn. g2 and need to know how and where to mount the receiver. I'd like to avoid the shoe to keep my light. Any ideas?

Chris
Chris David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 02:53 PM   #2
Major Player

1. Run a longer XLR to the receiver and clip it on your belt.
2. Clamp mount for tripod
3. Various receiver "boxes" that mount to the bottom of your camera which allow for a receiver to be placed inside. I know Videosmith makes one.
Patrick Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 03:10 PM   #3
Inner Circle

BEC makes a bracket that mounts to the camera and allows the use of QR plates under that. You can also get a BEC box to mount to the bracket that's made for the receiver. However that solution is not inexpensive. The bracket is about $175 and the box is about $75. BUT if you want the receiver mounted firmly and securely to the camera it's the way to go.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 07:06 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Check out this website. Very nice product. We use it with our Z1's and V1's. Just velcro the back of your Sennheiser and you're good to go.

http://quickreleasepro.com

Forrest
Forrest Burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 03:56 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I'm using the Bebob Coco kit(http://www.bebob.de/international/co...verter_e.html), havn't tried the bracket that you can fit on the transformer, but it looks nice.
Christian Magnussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 05:26 PM   #6
Major Player

Personally I just clip the Senn H2 receiver onto the fabric handgrip on the side of the camera.

It stays out of the way when the camera is on legs, and when it's on my DVRig Pro.

I never use it handheld.
Duncan Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 09:37 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks

Thanks guys. I had my first gig with the new camera and wireless system. It went really good. I acutally clipped the mic on the fabric of the handpiece like you said. It seems like the best solution for the little time I spend with my wireless system.

You guys rock! I love the new camera, I'm selling the pd150 within the next two weeks if anyone is interested.
Chris David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 10:02 PM   #8
Major Player

I just got a Jimmybox large, and

an A-T 1800 receiver.

Attached the Jimmybox to the cam (just a little awkward because of the countersunk screw and the height of the Jimmybox), then the QR plate to the bottom of the jimmybox.

The Jimmybox lower plate comes lined w/velcro, and I stuck some on the 1800 and it held well. Shot that way all day, w/an HVX on either a tripod or monopod. I liked it (though shooting so long w/a monopod was a test of both my hand AND my back).

The Jimmybox adds a couple of inches of more height, overall.

Check it out. It's not "perfect", i.e. the "weak link" might be the use of velcro instead of screws, and the price...seems a bit pricey for a hollow box, but for the smaller-form cams, it offers options other than using the shoe mount.

Good luck on your choice.
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 01:21 AM   #9
Major Player

Hi Guys

The simplest and cheapest solution I've used is to fix the receiver to the large capacity battery using heavy duty velcro ....You should be able to get this in any hardware store.

Receiver is out of the way, adds weight to the rear of the camera etc... I then just leave it in place...

I actually stick the velcro to the plastic hotshoe mount you get with the kit. As I have two sets of G2's I can then switch batteries easily if needed.

Has worked on my current Z1 but used it on the FX1 I had before.

Cheers
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 03:57 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi Chris. Check out my webste below--I have a solution for adding a radio receiver to the Z1 that will hold it upright, and allow a shock mount to be used with the microphone. This will all leave the top shoe open for a light, and allow the lcd to be used. Check it out at www.thej-rod.com
Jeff Rhode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 11:26 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I was thinking to get this bracket...

http://www.vfgadgets.com/assets/prod...HDl-11-300.jpg
K.C. Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 09:36 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Rhode View Post
Hi Chris. Check out my webste below--I have a solution for adding a radio receiver to the Z1 that will hold it upright, and allow a shock mount to be used with the microphone. This will all leave the top shoe open for a light, and allow the lcd to be used. Check it out at www.thej-rod.com
Can't say enough great things about the J-Rod.

Great accessory for cameras with a shotgun holder like the Z1/V1/PD170.
It streamlined my setup on my PD170.
As I mount Rode NTG1 mic (via Beyerdynamic EA86 - Camera Shoe Shock Mount) and Samson wireless receiver (via Sennheiser CA2 Shoemount Adapter) to the J-Rod (mounted in my mic holder) on PD170.
Then my accessory shoe is open for camera light.

Beyerdynamic EA86
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...mera_Shoe.html

Sennheiser CA2 (I picked up 2 small metal screws at hardware store and attached the CA2 to micro32 receiver by screwing the screws through the holes in the CA2 into the screw holes on the back of the Micro32 receiver for hotshoe atatchment.)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...t_Adapter.html
Old October 25th, 2007, 05:35 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I have this plastic arm made from PAG that I got from B&H. It has a shoe mount on both sides so you can have your light on one and the mic on the other. I can't find it on the B&H website though... I remember it was hard to find hidden deep in the site somewhere. It's around $25 if I remember correctly. It works great, it's just that having a wireless receiver AND a mic up front really makes the FX1 hard to handle.

Edit:

Here it is! http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Accessory.html
John M. Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 06:06 PM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M. Graham View Post
I have this plastic arm made from PAG that I got from B&H. It has a shoe mount on both sides so you can have your light on one and the mic on the other. I can't find it on the B&H website though... I remember it was hard to find hidden deep in the site somewhere. It's around $25 if I remember correctly. It works great, it's just that having a wireless receiver AND a mic up front really makes the FX1 hard to handle.

Edit:

Here it is! http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Accessory.html
John I have that bracket from PAG, but prefer the J-Rod to it.
I used to mount my light and wireless on it.
I prefer the J-Rod though, because I can mount my wireless straight up vertically like ti should be. I prefer my mic off to the side, rather then straight out next to the on camera light.

Normally I would agree with you, that having all of you accessories up front can throw the camera off balance and hard to handle. But I shoot with a DVMulti Rig all day long. So, weight and balance really isn't an issue for me with any camera. Even the larger FX1/Z's.
Old October 29th, 2007, 03:38 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Watkins View Post
The simplest and cheapest solution I've used is to fix the receiver to the large capacity battery using heavy duty velcro ....You should be able to get this in any hardware store.

Receiver is out of the way, adds weight to the rear of the camera etc...
Agreed. I put one G2 receiver on the battery and the other on the fabric handle back.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1