Z1U with a disk??? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old September 25th, 2007, 05:36 AM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Medico View Post
You must purchase a license from MS to gain access to the specification that allows you to write your drivers so they can interact with a NTFS partition. Also if you are going to establish a partition you have to know how to do it and have copies of the base software that is contained in the master boot record.

Please forgive my ignorance in not quite understanding what you mean. Probably this is due to my quite not knowing how you format those HDDs that you can you use with a camera, which are not exactly simple HDDs but small computers indeed.

In my head they came formatted and you just connected them to your camera and computer. Several functions could be done when interfacing with your PC, but for that there should be some kind of OS in the HDD to take care of that. But paying so much money and not getting a disk with the OS for your drive?

Maybe this is what you are talking about. Is that so?
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 06:01 AM   #17
Inner Circle

You are quite right. A device like the Sony HR60 or the Firestore are indeed computers with hard drives connected to them. They are obviously not like a desktop computer but they are certainly computers.

You are also correct that a hard drive has a PHYSICAL format. This is done by the manufacturer when the drive is made. Separate from the physical format is the file system (FAT, NTFS). It is the responsibility of the computer that is going to work with that drive to maintain the file system portion of the hard drives format.

The part of the hard drive that the computers operating system interacts with (the file system) has rules and very specific methods of interaction. In the case of NTFS knowing what those rules are is what MS wants you to pay for when you decide to develop your small computer to interact with a hard drive formatted with NTFS.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos E. Martinez View Post
Please forgive my ignorance in not quite understanding what you mean. Probably this is due to my quite not knowing how you format those HDDs that you can you use with a camera, which are not exactly simple HDDs but small computers indeed.

In my head they came formatted and you just connected them to your camera and computer. Several functions could be done when interfacing with your PC, but for that there should be some kind of OS in the HDD to take care of that. But paying so much money and not getting a disk with the OS for your drive?

Maybe this is what you are talking about. Is that so?
Old September 25th, 2007, 06:21 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Medico View Post
In the case of NTFS knowing what those rules are is what MS wants you to pay for when you decide to develop your small computer to interact with a hard drive formatted with NTFS.
Well, it seems I found just one more reason for not using HDDs! ;)

Long live tape!...
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1