HVL-20dw2 light question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old October 16th, 2007, 10:55 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HVL-20dw2 light question

I just bought this light and only used a few times. I noticed that on a 20W option the highest capacity battery NP-F970 only lasts 90minutes, is that the average or my battery is drained out? Also, is there a higher capacity battery than 970?
Thanks in advance.
K.C. Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 03:31 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Camera light experience, HVL20 and others

I have the HVL20 and power it with one of two NPF960 batteries. They used to be main power for my PD150 camera, but when I went Z1 I got two 970 batts as a bonus.

I can't think of a time I went through a light battery while doing an event. But 90 minutes is realistic.

Considering it is an onboard battery, 90 minutes is pretty good as these lights go.

I have other gripes with the light, but longevity is not one of them.
Mark Goldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 06:21 PM   #3
Regular Crew

90 min sounds about right. As Mark stated, this wouldn't be one of my gripes either. It's better than nothing, but there definitely better lights out there.
John M. Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 09:20 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M. Graham View Post
90 min sounds about right. As Mark stated, this wouldn't be one of my gripes either. It's better than nothing, but there definitely better lights out there.
I agree, if I was purchasing a light today, I would go LED based.
And if onboard battery power is a requirement (especially long life Sony batts) then the Sony HVL-LBP is a fantastic choice. Great battery run times, stays cool, great spread for widescreen shooting, dimmable, flip down diffuser or beam focuser, no hotspot like HVL-20 light, and runs forever on Sony NP770 battery and longer with NP970.

It's expensive and large, but a great light none the less.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ht_System.html
Old November 6th, 2007, 09:03 PM   #5
Major Player

Yeah, I wish it had a low battery warning. Mine died in the middle of a Father Daughter dance!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1