fx1 + beachtek - settings? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old November 27th, 2007, 07:21 AM   #1
New Boot

fx1 + beachtek - settings?

ive recently got a beachtek for my fx1 (dxa-4) and have just got around to playing about with it, but im having a bit of trouble setting it up correctly. i have the audio settings on manual on the camera (dial is at around 4) and with the beachtek on 'mic' sounds appear to be very quiet and weirdly recorded. when i switch to line mode everything is fine (bar a hissing, which i would imagine isnt recorded and due to the headphones) and the audio levels are good both in playback and whilst recording. im using a rode ntg2.

should i be using line mode or mic on the beachtek? can anyone give me any maintenance tips on making sure my beachtek stays in decent shape?

thanks a lot
Jamie Walshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 10:23 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I shoot with a ME66, with the Beachteck, and FX-1. I set the Beachteck to mono, so it feeds both tracks, and set plug the mic into either XLR port. I set the dials on the mic Beachteck around 8, and then adjust the camera input to a point where the speakers loudest voice keeps things still under
0 db (doesn't go into red). You have to have manual selected on the audio input and be sure display is set to on to see the sound bars.
Old November 27th, 2007, 03:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Don't forget that you have to set the FX1 to EXT MIC otherwise the sound is going to be very thin.

I've had an FX1 and a dxa-4 for nearly three years and the maintenance regime for the Beachtek is ...

1. Use it
2. Throw it into your camera case/equipment bag till next time.
3. Repeat 1 & 2 a hundred or so times.
4. Think about spraying the sockets and plug with some WD-40

Its the perfect piece of kit - no moving parts, no power supply, no microprocessor - it should last forever.
Tony Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 02:52 AM   #4
New Boot

yeah its set to ext mic, and i figured maintenance could be as easy as that!

i was just wondering what setting the switch on the beachtek should be on, mic or line? line sounds much louder (and the levels are much higher), but im not sure what the difference would be.
Old November 28th, 2007, 02:54 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Setting on beachtek should be mic.
Old November 28th, 2007, 05:28 AM   #6
New Boot

thanks chris
Old November 30th, 2007, 12:23 AM   #7
Major Player

The thing is that the BeachTek is a passive device (no gain, no amplifier) and can only attenuate the signal. If the recording situation would require 6 on the camera to get a good recording, then setting that on the camera will require your Beachtek setting to be at maximum. Similarly, it must be set to "mic" for a microphone input.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1