Green out of alignment - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old January 25th, 2008, 08:11 PM   #16
Major Player

That's what I call solid proof of a problem. Options?
Old January 26th, 2008, 06:30 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Pearce View Post
Here are links to samples of the continuing problem. They are take at the same aperture of the standard ISO 12233 resolution chart, and are about 300KB each (at native 1440x1080).

My (good) FX1 displays some chromatic aberration (if you look at the corners the green is consistently closer to the centre of the picture than magenta). However with the troublesome Z1 the colour misalignment is much worse. Also it seems to me that the green is rotated clockwise (centred south-west of centre), as if the green CCD is out of position.

Here's the problem Z1 at 10mm f/5.6:
http://www.snapdrive.net/files/269864/10mm-f5.6-Z1.jpg

Compare it to my FX1 at the same settings:
http://www.snapdrive.net/files/269864/10mm-f5.6-FX1.jpg

The troublesome Z1 again, but at 54mm:
http://www.snapdrive.net/files/269864/54mm-f5.6-Z1.jpg

And again compare it to the FX1:
http://www.snapdrive.net/files/269864/54mm-f5.6-FX1.jpg
The service agent claimed that replacing the CCD block would not help, but that cleaning the lens or replacing the lens might!
Colin Pearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 02:19 AM   #18
Regular Crew

What I find hard to believe is that the experts are telling me the FX1 actually has a slightly different lens to the Z1.

But what I'd like to know is whether the Z1 is obviously the green CCD out of alignment (rotated), or is there a reasonable possibility that the lens has a strange form of chromatic abberation that I haven't seen before (due either by a "dirty lens" or a lens that's "been dropped")?
Colin Pearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 03:05 AM   #19
Inner Circle

I am finding rather hard to believe that Sony have let this bagful of cats remain open for so long already without taking you quietly aside and offering some effective remedy and for this story to sink down deep into the oblivion of posts past.

If the Z1 "professional" image is within accepted factory spec, albeit maybe on the extreme edge of acceptable, then you have nowhere to go, except to swap brands.

It does not say much for quality of the product which popular belief suggests that the "professional" versions of the consumer models comprise component which have been sorted to meet a higher spec.

Maybe your dealer is not capable of dealing with Sony and wants somehow to hang onto the dealership by keeping the problem in-house and hoping for you to accept it and go away. Have you seen copies of any enquiries which have been directed to Sony and any replies?

Sometimes the solution of a problem is not so much the difficulty of the problem as the resolve to solve it.

Your next step might be to contact Sony direct with your image samples.

After consulting with your lawyer over your potential exposure to suit for your comments already made here, you could suggest quite truthfully that their brand image is already damaged through this matter going on as long as it has without satisfaction and people here knowing about it.

I have had a lot of exposure to the JVC GY-HD--- camera family over recent times and am being tempted to move over, deterred only by the horror folklore over split screen, dead pixels and reports of failures.

So there's an example for a start of Sony's potential vulnerability to sales erosion.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1