DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   FX1 / Z1 on a car mount (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/109965-fx1-z1-car-mount.html)

Jack Kelly December 11th, 2007 05:56 AM

FX1 / Z1 on a car mount

Hi folks,

This weekend, we're planning to do some tests with an FX1 on a car mount. I've done some reading through the archives here on DVinfo.net and it seems that people have had some very mixed results with the FX1/Z1 on a car mount. Some people seem to say the results are unusable. Others say that NASCAR use FX1s/Z1s for their in-car footage with excellent results.

For our project, we're not doing any crazy off-road stuff. It'll just be standard cars going along standard roads and standard speeds. Can we expect our FX1 to behave well?

Also, we're thinking of upgrading to a Z1 (mostly for the XLR inputs). Will the Z1 handle car vibration significantly better than the FX1?

I understand that steadyshot should be off (although we'll test with various settings). I also understand that some people say that interlaced video has issues with vibration... if this is the case then I guess we can shoot 1080/50i, throw away one field and double the remaining field to get something that will look respectable when shown on an SD TV (yes, I know this will halve our vertical resolution but that's a fair price to pay if it removes horrible vibration-related artifacts).

One final question: it's possible that we could get a V1 instead of a Z1. I assume the V1 would be a poor choice for car-mounting because it uses CMOS sensors and supposedly has rolling-shutter issues. Is this the case?

Many thanks,
Jack

Robert Young December 11th, 2007 07:28 PM

Jack
I have used both the Z1 and the V1 to shoot footage from a vehicle- not on an actual mount as you are planning, but handheld, and some shots handheld with the camera braced against the vehicle frame. I've done this at highway speeds and slower, and had no problems, or noticed anything unusual with the quality of the resulting footage.
I have not noticed any difference between the Z and the V in this situation either. With the V1 there might be the potential for rolling shutter artifact on scenery that is rapidly moving across the frame, but I haven't noticed it myself.

Matthew Gore December 11th, 2007 08:09 PM

car mount

I think either Z1 or FX7's will do great.
Think about putting a small bean bag under the camera and then strap it
down. I've used this technique for a hood mount shot several times and it works great.

Matt Gore

Jack Kelly December 12th, 2007 04:29 AM

great, thanks loads for the replies

Patrick Pike December 12th, 2007 12:59 PM

I mounted a camera to my jeep for some shots once. My aftermarket bumper has spots for lights, so I had perfect mounting spots for my camera. The shots came out perfectly with no chance of it falling off.