Viewing Auto Gain at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old December 18th, 2007, 02:04 PM   #1
Trustee

Viewing Auto Gain

Can I view what the camera wants for Auto Gain? Much like the iris control.
I would'nt have a clue what the camera wants and this used to be a great reference point for me with the PD170.

Cheers
Simon
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 01:26 PM   #2
Trustee

Unfortunately no. But take it from me and a lot of other users here that you don't want anything above 3dB, and what you want is much more important. If zebras are telling you things are a bit dark, bump the gain up a little, but in general, look elsewhere to brighten up your image. Ideally gain should not be used at all, and at worst, as a last resort, at 3 dB.
Old December 21st, 2007, 02:22 PM   #3
Inner Circle

You can also set the maximum amount of gain you're willing to allow in a Picture Profile and just use that all the time...
Adam Gold is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1