DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   FX1 filter thread stripped - repair options? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/114996-fx1-filter-thread-stripped-repair-options.html)

Greg Peters February 16th, 2008 01:24 PM

FX1 filter thread stripped - repair options?

Anyone know who can replace the filter thread on a FX1 camera?
Seems like Sony wants $500 just to send it in.

The thread is stripped from using adapters on it.
Otherwise the camera is fine.

Bob Hart February 16th, 2008 08:35 PM

Approaches to this problem would be :-

Send it to Sony to replace the component which contains the thread. - It may be a part of a larger sub-assembly and not available separately, so the cost will be getting the Sony workers out of bed plus the parts cost.

This is likely to have been a fairly frequent problem and Sony may have a fix for it based on the methods mentioned below, ie., a centered reamer and a pre-made threaded insert.

Third party or DOY.

Make a custom reamer and centering piece which mounts up to the bayonet fitting, ream out the damaged thread section, manufacture a new threaded sleeve insert and either cut a new 0.7mm pitch thread on the outside of the insert and inside the widened hole to hold it or simply glue it in.

Fill the existing damaged threads with new compatable plastic material, then ream to size and then cut new threads in the fill material.

Replacing the damaged threads is going to be a precision job, no less demanding and possibly more so and costly to have done than sending to Sony and having a component replaced.

The DOY suggestion below is not recommended and may permanently damage your otherwise perfectly operating camera. The vapours emitted from two-part industrial fillers may convert the optical coating on your lens glass to something resembling a cataract in the eye of a 90 year old blind person. ----------

--------- A high risk, likely poor performing, cheap and nasty method would be to get hold of a 72mm diameter filter ring, or more better a 72mm diameter threaded tube you can get a good handgrip on, very thinly coat it with some release material or vegetable oil so that the threads themselves are coated but not actually filled with the release material or veg oil, mix up some body filler or other industrial filler which is not hostile to the plastic material of the camcorder body, cover the lens against contamination by drops of material or setting vapours, layer the damaged thread section with filler, layer the filter ring threads with filller, taking care not to remove the release material or veg oil, press the filter ring into place, give the filler a good long time to set and cure, make your peace with god, then say a quiet, heartfelt and sincere prayer, then attempt to unscrew the filter ring or tube and hope to heaven it will actually come out and as a bonus, without tearing the new molded threads away from the camera body. This fix is unlikely to endure for any length of time as the composition of the fill material is likely to be compromised by the release material or the veg oil.

The camera will preferrably be positioned facing vertical up or downward to avoid the weight of the tube if used from tilting the replacement threads off-axis. Down facing is probably better to avoid the filler from running out onto the lens glass.

Some trimming and filing of the front face of the camera would be needed afterward.

(Helicoil suggestion deleted as no stock available in 72mm x 0.7mm pitch.)

My recommendation - take your medicine, send it to Sony, wear the cost and be extremely careful with the thread in the future. Their design in this area is certainly not one of my favourites. The thread is molded, not cut, has rounded edges, so it is already changing when it has dressed to the first metal rimmed filter or close-up lens you screw into it.

Greg Peters February 16th, 2008 10:54 PM

WOW!!

That was a lot of typing.

I tried to call Sony service, they sent me to their webpage.
Looks like a flat $500 to look at the camera??

I did not know if I could send it to someone beside sony for the repair..