DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   L series Batteries (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/116086-l-series-batteries.html)

Anthony Sharpe March 1st, 2008 01:22 AM

L series Batteries

Hi all,

I have been reading trough the forum and have found several threads on the L series batteries.
But I just want to ask the question to cement it in my mind.

Will any L Series battery work in my Sony Z1?

i have the ability to pick up a handful of genuine sony batteries of the following model numbers, quite cheaply.

np-f960
np-f750
np-f330

There was a couple of answers saying yes they will work and a couple saying they were not sure if this was the case.

So will they work?
and are they safe?
(they are for back up batteries, I already have 4 X np-f970's)

Sorry to be reposting the same sought of question, but I wanted to make sure before making a potentially uneeded purchase?

thanks again.

P.s.

I am about to head over to Borneo to film with the orangutans and over to thailand to film with the elephants. I will post up my complete kit that I am taking under travel section in the next one or two weeks, for discussion.
I will post up what I have gleaned so far and see what all your thoughts are. it should be an interesting topic for discussion... hopefully

cheers,

anthony...

Colin Pearce March 1st, 2008 05:20 PM

Any L-series battery should work. I bought a used 960, but it didn't last too long before it wouldn't charge, or keep its charge.

I'd steer clear of used batteries unless you are given them, but I still wouldn't rely on them at all.

Anthony Sharpe March 1st, 2008 08:44 PM

thanks collin,

I am going on a trip and there wont be any electricity for 10 days during the shoot, so I pretty much have what i need and am just trying to grab a couple of spares to throw in as well. thanks for your info...

ant...

Duncan Craig March 2nd, 2008 05:40 AM

Will you not even have 12 volts?

Otherwise, I would have recommended putting a cigarette cable onto the supplied Sony charger to get 12 volts into it. I actually rigged mine with a four pin XLR, and can charge my Z1 batts from a car battery.

Anthony Sharpe March 2nd, 2008 06:36 PM

Hi Duncan,

The thing is, what ever I take I have to lug around for a month on my back through some pretty rough terrain. I have found a solar panel charger that will work with these batteries though (which is pretty cool) it is the solaris 26.
Which is a foldable solar panel. The guy gave me the output specs and the details of a good cheap charger from b&h to use with it. I can post if anyones interested.

cheers,

anthony..

Chris Swanberg March 2nd, 2008 07:10 PM

Any L Series will work

Any of the L series batteries will work. The battery nomenclature only refers to the total power delivery in MAh of each battery.

Sony Infolithium batteries are well known for their durability and long lasting delivery and recharge capabilities - as well as their price.

Aftermarket batteries are far cheaper, with some unknowns thrown in. So far my experience has been good with cheaper aftermarkets, but if you are in a "must have and away from power for days" situation, then the Sony 970's are your safest - and most expensive by far - bet.

If you are travelling by air, you may want to read up on the Li-Ion battery rules.... frankly they SHOULD not cause a problem, but the folks enforcing them may not read them the same as everyone else and their word is rule in their little world. (In short you SHOULD be able to carry unlimited L-960/970's in your carry on, but they may read the rule as saying no more than 2).

Anthony Sharpe March 3rd, 2008 03:38 AM

Hi Chris,

thanks heaps for the advice..

I might split all the batteries between me and my wifes luggage.

Arrrggghh, so many different things to think for my tiny little man brain...
Ha!!

ant...

Jim Michael March 3rd, 2008 06:43 AM

How much lithium in a 960?

Chris Swanberg March 6th, 2008 10:55 AM

4.2 grams in a 960.

Also, you CANNOT pack them in checked luggage!!!! MUST be in carry on only.

The problem is this. The rules are poorly worded. The logical and most common interpretation is that ANY NUMBER of batteries with less than 8 grams may be carried on, so long as they are either individually wrapped or have the contacts taped... but only 2 of over 20 grams.

Some folks are reading this as only 2, period.

So if you show up with 4, and the TSA guy says only 2, what are you going to do with the other 2?

For now best to leave one on the camera and carry 2. If you have a companion have them carry on 2. That way you get 5. Safely.