DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   DIY 'figrig' style support for HDRFX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/116137-diy-figrig-style-support-hdrfx1.html)

Jamie Roberts March 2nd, 2008 03:49 AM

DIY 'figrig' style support for HDRFX1

Hi all

I have recently made a 'figrig' style camera support for my HDRFX1 based on a similar design Ive seen. The one I had seen was for a smaller camcorder so I adapted it to suit a larger camera like my Sony.

Anyway, I thought Id share a few pix of it for those that like to have a go at making your own stuff!

You can check out the pix here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sendsouth/

cheers

Jamie

David Stoneburner March 2nd, 2008 10:11 AM

Nice job. It looks pretty cool.

Chris Swanberg March 6th, 2008 08:08 PM

Very nice.... what size ABS pipe? looks like 1-1/4....?

Can you show the rest of the bottom portion?

Jamie Roberts March 9th, 2008 01:17 AM

H there

Thanks for feedback. Its 20mm or 3/4" PVC pipe. Very strong. Have added a pic that includes bottom section. I have been practising with it in preparation for a shoot I am doing in a couple of weeks. The shoot is of a 'play' so this rig will be great if I can get good at handling it. It really does make a big difference for stable camera movement when moving around. With the LANC remote attached, I can adjust focus as I get close to subjects and also zoom if necessary. I am really enjoying getting the hang of it with the Sony. One improvement I can think of could be some kind of stand for when I put it down between shots etc.

cheers

Jamie

Carlos E. Martinez March 18th, 2008 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie Roberts (Post 839466)
One improvement I can think of could be some kind of stand for when I put it down between shots etc.

Well, that's an easy one if you didn't glue the parts. On mine DIY figrig I put a X tube on the base, so I could place it on any surface, for resting, for starting or ending a shot. Works like a charm.

In my case I went further, as I added two acrylic plates: for the camera above and for a mixer or wireless receiver below.

Jamie Roberts March 19th, 2008 11:13 PM

Hi Carlos

Yes I was thinking about making a X stand for it with a fitting that would allow my support rigs bottom plug to slide into and fasten in some way. Obviously I already glued mine!!

I have been practising with it and seem to be ok with backward shots and 'walk beside' shots. Funnily enough its the moving forward shots Im having the most trouble getting really smooth! If you have any tips, Im all ears!

cheers

Jamie

Carlos E. Martinez March 20th, 2008 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie Roberts (Post 845380)
Yes I was thinking about making a X stand for it with a fitting that would allow my support rigs bottom plug to slide into and fasten in some way. Obviously I already glued mine!!

Sorry for the glue. When I assembled it, I had to think up several things. And as the glue was final I decided to go with screws on some parts. Not only the base parts have them but also the upper half is secured by screws. So I can pull the top off and just use the lower U for the handling. It's also good for transporting it in some cases, as it will be smaller.

Quote:

I have been practising with it and seem to be ok with backward shots and 'walk beside' shots. Funnily enough its the moving forward shots Im having the most trouble getting really smooth! If you have any tips, Im all ears!
It's probably due to the "walking thing" that should be applied in gliding shots, be it on steadicam or on figrig. You have to flex your legs and do the "Groucho walk", which seems to be work best. I think the movement backwards only seems to be smoother than the movement forward, as you will probably have something that catches your attention, like a person walking and talking towards you, or a vehicle.

Rey Lowe March 27th, 2008 06:25 AM

Jamie,

How did you mount your cam to this rig? Is it mounted via the all thread rod up through the center of the pvc or through the bolt in the flange that has the wing nut on it?

Rey Lowe March 27th, 2008 10:21 PM

I managed to build a very similar rig, but I added an older tripod head to it for ease of camera attachment. I also built a stand to hold it when the cam is attached and I need to set it down.

I can share pics if anyone is curious....

Jamie Roberts March 30th, 2008 06:05 PM

Hi Rey

Would love to see the photos of your rig.

My FX1 is attached via the allthread. I have now glued a wing nut to the end of the allthread as better grip to screw it in and have another wing nut on the allthread to secure the cam. I have also put a large flat washer between the two cross pieces to stop any 'give' there when camera is secured.

The other wing nut and bolt on the camera platform is for my home made 'steady cam'. I used the same platform to provide to avoid having to much weight on a small area. eg the 3/4" pipe.

Is your rig for a larger cam? I had to adapt my rig from 'shygantics' design to lower the weight of my FX1 and keep the lens in the centre. I really like using it though and am still working on learning to use it effectively. Prefer it to the DIY steadicam which i find a little hard on the back!

cheers

Jamie

Rey Lowe March 30th, 2008 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie Roberts (Post 851256)
Hi Rey

Would love to see the photos of your rig.

Is your rig for a larger cam? I had to adapt my rig from 'shygantics' design to lower the weight of my FX1 and keep the lens in the centre. I really like using it though and am still working on learning to use it effectively. Prefer it to the DIY steadicam which i find a little hard on the back!

cheers

Jamie

Jamie,

Mine is adapted from the same design as yours, but for use with both my GL-2 and my Sony VX2100.

I'll try to get some pics. I tried to use it at an event I had to tape this past weekend, but the area proved to be too small. I could barely get around myself, much less with the rig. :)

The stand is no more that a square with a piece of PVC that extends up to set the rig down onto. I have a tee at the bottom that seats right onto it. It still needs some modifications to get it working the way I want. When the rig is in the stand, my kids think I built a portable stop sign. :)

One tip that may help others - I bought some tennis racket grip tape and wrapped the areas on each side where I hold the rig. Helps a lot!

Jamie Roberts March 31st, 2008 05:33 PM

The tennis grip tape is a great idea!

Cheers

Jamie