DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Playmates for Z1/FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/116922-playmates-z1-fx1.html)

Ervin Farkas March 13th, 2008 12:20 PM

Playmates for Z1/FX1

Here is my specific situation: my church has a Z1, a member brings his own FX1, so I am basically using two identical cams. For a general view from the balcony (wide open shot, unmanned cam on a $20 tripod) I use an old consumer Sony - and I finally got $2K to buy another camera. The light is so-so, it's an all wood traditional church, I need +6 dB gain on the big guns to pull it off.

For this specific use, what camera would you recommend, not forgetting my limitations? The cams feed into a Datavideo SE800 so slight compensation for differences is possible - I am looking for an overall good quality camera (no need for good audio, that comes from the audio board, just the best possible video).

Thanks,

Robert M Wright March 13th, 2008 12:29 PM

You could come awfully close to getting a used FX1 for $2k, if you are patient and shop around.

Robert M Wright March 13th, 2008 12:39 PM

With the Datavideo SE-800, are you using the cameras in DV mode? If so, are you shooting 4:3 or 16:9?

Adam Gold March 13th, 2008 12:41 PM

As of yesterday they had refurb FX1s on the Sony Online Outlet site for $2250. Have no idea if they're still there.

Edit: As of 11:18 AM PT, they're still there, and they have added refurb VX2100s for under $2K (if anyone is still shooting 4:3 DV).

Ervin Farkas March 13th, 2008 12:45 PM

Shooting 4x3 but will go 16x9 soon. I am using component from the cameras to the mixer, component out to a Datavideo DAC15 box for digitizing to DV, one output to the PC for live streaming, the other one to a Sony direct to disc DVD recorder.

Plans include a component to *something* (not sure what at this point) to capture in a format higher than DV.

Robert M Wright March 13th, 2008 12:49 PM

You could pick up a used JVC GY-DV300U for less than $1k. That will give you good 4:3 SD for now (maybe a tad better than what you're getting from the FX1).

Ervin Farkas March 13th, 2008 12:53 PM

Sorry, should have mentioned that SD is out... HD is in the near future...

Robert M Wright March 13th, 2008 12:57 PM

Then start shopping around for a used (or refurb) FX1.

Michael Liebergot March 13th, 2008 03:58 PM

Evan I agree with most here and say shop around for a used FX1. As there are many people dumping their FX1's and Canon A1's to finance new Z7 and EX1 purchases.

As a matter of fact purchased 2 lightly used (almost mint condition) FX1s from people on this board a few months ago. And when I say like mint, I mean in immaculate condition.

I got these for $2,000 a piece. And one of the sellers was selling off his cameras because he was moving to the EX1's.

Ervin Farkas March 14th, 2008 05:43 AM

As always, the info on this site is invaluable... I almost made a big mistake... good thing I asked.

Thanks everyone, I started looking for a used FX1.

Jim Nogueira March 14th, 2008 01:18 PM

I just bought a refurb FX1 on the Sony Online Outlet site for $2025. Shipping is included, but they did charge sales tax (I'm in MA).

Adam Gold March 14th, 2008 01:45 PM

Yes, a $200 price drop after just two days on the site. And they now have FX7s but for $500 more...

Robert M Wright March 14th, 2008 03:00 PM

I'd be pretty surprised if Sony isn't planning to discontinue the FX1 real soon.

Ervin Farkas March 17th, 2008 08:07 AM

Have to keep close watch on the Sony site... as of 9 AM on Monday March 17 they don't have any FX1s... I suppose they don't have all that many...

And I agree, Sony is probably phasing them out, they have some new cameras, although those are not quite a replacement for the hugely popular Z1/FX1. But life goes on... who knows, even now when almost everyone is jumping over to HD, they still have VX2100s...

Michael Liebergot March 17th, 2008 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas (Post 843770)
Have to keep close watch on the Sony site... as of 9 AM on Monday March 17 they don't have any FX1s... I suppose they don't have all that many...

And I agree, Sony is probably phasing them out, they have some new cameras, although those are not quite a replacement for the hugely popular Z1/FX1. But life goes on... who knows, even now when almost everyone is jumping over to HD, they still have VX2100s...

They don't have any refurbished Sony's, but still have the FX2 listed under regular HD cameras for full price.

People have been assuming that Sony will be phasing out the FX1 for years now, and it's still going strong. I think this says something about how good this camera initially was and still is.

I don't see it going away anytime soon either, as there is no other cmaea to take it's place (since they pulled the FX7 off of the shelves).
Maybe they'll come up with a consumer version of the Z7, which might use the 1/3 CMOS sensors, not have a removable lens, and maybe or maybe not have the ability to mount (MRC1 CF recorder) to the rear of the camera without the need for firewire hookup.