Sony FX1 Referbished at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 16th, 2008, 06:11 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony FX1 Referbished

Can't remember which thread I read this on ,but yesterday I ordered a Referbished Sony FX1 direct from Sony. $2024.99 for cam and $169.99 for a 3 year extended warranty includes accidental damage. 12 months no pay ,no interest . Free shipping . total $2326.68. Quite a savings .I have a FX! now and was ready to purchase another from B&H at $3049.00,plus ship and a costly warranty. Thanks to this forum I saved over a grand . Thanks again .
Michael.
Michael J. Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 04:17 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Michael,
I ordered one as well. Question? Did they charge you state sales tax? They sure as hell charged me and I've never had that happen before on an internet transaction.
Matthew Klos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 07:14 PM   #3
Wrangler

If a company maintains a presence in your state, then they must collect sales tax on any purchases you make from them. So the answer to your question will probably vary depending on what state an individual lives in.

But - by the book - it's even worse than that. Most states consider purchases which you make via internet or phone orders to be taxable at their prevailing rate (they call this "use tax"). This is true in Connecticut - see the dept of taxation website:

http://askdrs.ct.gov/Scripts/drsrigh...5sJnBfcGFnZT01

Quote:
Q. What if I buy taxable goods or services from an out-of-state mail-order company, television shopping channel, or computerized shopping service and the vendor does not charge Connecticut tax?

A. If you buy goods or services for use in Connecticut, you owe and must remit use tax on those purchases. You report the use tax liability for purchases you made during the preceding calendar year either on your Connecticut income tax return or Form OP-186. For detailed information on the individual use tax, see IP 2005(17), Q & A on the Connecticut Individual Use Tax.
And if you buy from an out of state company which collects tax at a lower rate than your state, they even expect you to pony up the difference!

http://askdrs.ct.gov/Scripts/drsrigh...5sJnBfcGFnZT01

Quote:
Q. What if I buy taxable goods or services in another state and the vendor charges sales tax for the other state?

A. If the goods or services were purchased for use in Connecticut and the tax due and paid to the other state is less than the Connecticut tax, you must report and pay the difference between the Connecticut tax and the tax paid to the other state. If the tax paid to the other state is equal to or more than the Connecticut tax, you owe no use tax to Connecticut.

Example: You purchased a $1,000 refrigerator in another state, and paid $50 tax to that state. If you bought the refrigerator for use in Connecticut, you owe Connecticut use tax. The Connecticut tax of $60 ($1,000 X 6%) is reduced to $10, after allowing $50 credit for the tax paid to the other state. If no tax was paid to the other state, the Connecticut use tax is $60. You report the use tax liability for purchases you made during the preceding calendar year either on your Connecticut income tax return or Form OP-186. For detailed information on the individual use tax, see IP 2005(17), Q & A on the Connecticut Individual Use Tax.
Since tax season is soon approaching, I'm sure you're busy completing your form OP-186 anyway ;-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 07:49 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thank you Boyd, that was certainly an eye opener.
Matthew Klos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 05:09 AM   #5
Regular Crew

sony fx1

Yes I did pay sales tax
Michael J. Long is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1