FX1 audio performance - receptions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 28th, 2008, 08:23 AM   #1
Major Player

FX1 audio performance - receptions

Up to now I have been using a PD150, which had a MIC ATT switch that could be set for either channel. When the DJ started to pump up the volume, I would activate the attenuation to keep the audio from distorting. Can anyone comment on their experience with the FX1 in a similar situation. Thanks.
Jim Nogueira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 08:47 AM   #2
Trustee

You are able to pad the signal in the menu, but there isn't a quick switch on the outside like the PD150/170 has.

I use a Beachtek DXAFX XLR box on the FX1 so I have the ability to take dual XLR inputs and instantly pad my signal if needed or independently lower my audio.

The Beachtek box has pretty good built in pre amps and padding. So that works fine for me.
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:19 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks, Michael. I'm going to be using the Beachtek DXA-6HD FX1 box (with the built-in preamps), so that's great news that it's works well for you. From my testing, the sound is really noise-free.
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:34 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Nogueira View Post
Thanks, Michael. I'm going to be using the Beachtek DXA-6HD FX1 box (with the built-in preamps), so that's great news that it's works well for you. From my testing, the sound is really noise-free.
Yeah the 6HD looks to be a great box.
I have the older FX box that was just replaced with the DXA-6A.
I really like the idea of the HD box that you have goes through the line in, thus avoiding the noisy Sony mic preamps. So your box is even quieter than mine.
Old March 28th, 2008, 12:42 PM   #5
Major Player

Yeah, I wasn't going to buy the 6HD at first because of the higher price. But Harry from BeachTek talked me into it, and I'm glad now that he did.

Could I ask you also how long a fresh battery lasts in your Beachtek? Mine takes one 9 volt, and the manual says 4 hours typical with no phantom. I was hoping to use use phantom power on one channel for the shotgun mic (Sennheiser K6 w/ ME66). I could use a battery in the K6 module (one AA) instead, but that starts to get into a lot of battery changes for a full wedding day.

Thanks again. - Jim.
Old March 28th, 2008, 01:19 PM   #6
Trustee

Jim, my batteries last around 4 hours.
I wish that someone would make a unit that runs on AA batteries instead of 9v, as 9v suck. most of my shoots run 8-12 hours during any given day, and I have to have to worry about having a fresh set of batteries in because I might miss something.
I'm not to worried about phantom power, as I use mics that run on both phantom and AA batteries (wireless receivers and Rode NTG mics). So I save a bit of juice by going this route.
Sometimes I do wish that I went with a Z1 at some point (I use 2 FX1's) and not have to worry about battery power for XLR inputs.
Old March 28th, 2008, 02:06 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post
I wish that someone would make a unit that runs on AA batteries instead of 9v, as 9v suck. most of my shoots run 8-12 hours during any given day, and I have to have to worry about having a fresh set of batteries in because I might miss something.
That's exactly my concern as well. I also debated between the FX1 and Z1, and decided to go with two FX1s like you did.

I don't know how you feel about using rechargeable batteries, but Harry from BeachTek recommended them, and sent me the website of a supplier. If I can locate it, I'll send it to you. In the past, I've always used Duracells.
Old March 28th, 2008, 03:07 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
That's exactly my concern as well. I also debated between the FX1 and Z1, and decided to go with two FX1s like you did.

I don't know how you feel about using rechargeable batteries, but Harry from BeachTek recommended them, and sent me the website of a supplier. If I can locate it, I'll send it to you. In the past, I've always used Duracells.
That would be great.
I have been leary of using rechargeables, because they seem to drain faster than regular akalines.
I don't know if anyone makes long lasting lithium 9v batteries but they might work good as well.
Old March 28th, 2008, 08:51 PM   #9
Major Player

Hi Michael,

The 9v battery that BeachTek recommends is the rechargeable Lithium Poly from iPowerUS. 500 mAh.

www.iPowerUS.com

Jim
Old March 29th, 2008, 10:18 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Hi Michael,

The 9v battery that BeachTek recommends is the rechargeable Lithium Poly from iPowerUS. 500 mAh.

www.iPowerUS.com

Jim
Thanks Jim, just placed an order with Marketek online for the charger and 8 batteries.
I remember seeing them online before but never picked them up for some reason.
Old March 29th, 2008, 02:44 PM   #11
Major Player

I ordered a charger and batteries as well.
Old April 1st, 2008, 11:26 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
I ordered a charger and batteries as well.
Let me know how they work out for you.
I won't have mine for a little bit, as Markertek doesn't currently have them in stock. That's aright as I don't need them right away anyway.
Old April 5th, 2008, 09:38 AM   #13
Major Player

Michael, I actually ended up cancelling the order after I found another option.

http://www.ultralifebatteries.com/su....php?ID=5&topn

These batteries are supposed to last 4-5 times longer that an alkaline. Like you, I have been leary of using rechargeables. So, I ordered and received 10 of them and will be trying them out at a couple of weddings at the end of the month. I'll post results.

Doing a google search, there's now a site showing the batteries for $4.29 each (I paid $4.95 at Trew Audio).
Old April 7th, 2008, 11:14 AM   #14
Trustee

Jim they look good.
I received my rechargeables an charger on Firday, and will be doing some testing with them soon.

I may order some of the batteries that you mentioned, and use them for backup and see which I like better. Al in all I always being plenty of backup juice for shoots. This is also why I purchase 8 of the Li-Poly rechargables.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1