DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Worth it to purchase Z1U? (current A1 owner) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/119556-worth-purchase-z1u-current-a1-owner.html)

Randy Panado April 16th, 2008 12:48 PM

Worth it to purchase Z1U? (current A1 owner)

I may have the opportunity to purchase a Z1U at a great price...although you know what the saying is. If it's too good to be true....

Anyway, just in case it's a legit seller, would I be making a lateral move with the Z1U or stepping up a little? It would be used for event and wedding videography. My partner currently has a FX1. For myself, I have just the A1 so I was wondering if it would be advantageous at all (besides having a backup camera) to purchase this second cam. I don't have money to burn for the sake of it but I do like to scoop up a good deal.

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Carlos Viteri April 16th, 2008 01:10 PM

Randy it all depends what the price is and if it's legit.

Randy Panado April 16th, 2008 02:45 PM

Price is worth it, legit is still up in the air.

Please give opinions assuming the price is worth it and it is legit. Thanks

Seun Osewa April 16th, 2008 03:31 PM

What's wrong with your a1?

Boyd Ostroff April 16th, 2008 03:31 PM

Randy, are you talking about the Canon A1 or the Sony A1?

Randy Panado April 16th, 2008 05:51 PM

Canon XH-A1, sorry for not being specific.

The problem with my XH-A1 is that it can't clone itself to cover two angles live at the same time :(.

Jason Bowers April 16th, 2008 06:00 PM

Why not buy another A1? there have been a few good offers here on the forum around $2800 or less with very minimal hours. I don't know too much about the Z1 but when i did my research the canon's were about the best for price and value of features.

Randy Panado April 16th, 2008 06:02 PM

The price is below what a used XH-A1 is going for. Haven't heard a reply yet so I'm still assuming it's too good to be true :/ .

Another XH-A1 is actually in the works but after seeing that ad, it made me think.

Jason Bowers April 16th, 2008 06:09 PM

The Z1u can't shoot 24 frames either, which is really starting to grow on me the more I shoot with it. Having been a true Sony guy (retail manager) I have really begun to like the feel of the A1. All the controls are easily laid out and the custom features are great.

Randy Panado April 17th, 2008 03:01 PM

It was one of those "Im in UK now" scams. Bah. Thanks for the replies.

Shahryar Rizvi April 23rd, 2008 09:52 AM

Thanks for the info presented in this thread guys. I'm currently a HC1 owner who's mainly a hobbyist and looking to take the next step. I had been wondering about the Z1U, but I believe it's a bit out my price range. However, the XH-A1 doesn't seem priced too bad based on what I saw on B&H Photo.

and this post right here by Jason Bowers:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Bowers (Post 861868)
Why not buy another A1? there have been a few good offers here on the forum around $2800 or less with very minimal hours. I don't know too much about the Z1 but when i did my research the canon's were about the best for price and value of features.

Also makes me happy about the price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Bowers (Post 861872)
The Z1u can't shoot 24 frames either, which is really starting to grow on me the more I shoot with it. Having been a true Sony guy (retail manager) I have really begun to like the feel of the A1. All the controls are easily laid out and the custom features are great.

Jason's other post here gives me a good reason to not go for the Z1U, which was suggested to me over here in this thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...336#post863336
when I explained more on what I was looking for and why.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Panado (Post 861704)
....would I be making a lateral move with the Z1U or stepping up a little? It would be used for event and wedding videography. My partner currently has a FX1. For myself, I have just the A1 so I was wondering if it would be advantageous at all (besides having a backup camera) to purchase this second cam...

This I was a little interested about. If I decide to keep the HC1, would it be easy to combine footage like what Randy was doing here with the FX1 and the XH-A1?