DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   FX1 or V1U for same price, advice appreciated (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/122214-fx1-v1u-same-price-advice-appreciated.html)

Jamie Hellmich May 22nd, 2008 04:35 PM

FX1 or V1U for same price, advice appreciated

B&H has the FX1 for $3049, and V1U for $3499 with $400 mail in rebate Sony rebate.

I dabble in home movies pretty much, with nature stuff, church projects, a few weddings for favor, and other hobby stuff, and to date with an HC1. I plan to keep it, great camera.

I would like better lowlight performance, more features for manual settings...kinda more "pro-like" camera and appearance. I also believe I want to stick with mini dv for the next 2 or 3 years.

12X optical zoom would be acceptable vs. 20X. I have an XLR adapter and mics. A 3ccd HDV cam has been luring me for some time. I author to DVD and Blu-Ray disks with Vegas 8 Pro.

I need to limit my "investment" to about the prices above, it is just a hobby.

After intense study of this forum and the other DVInfo forums, my heart has been set on the FX1. Particularly with V1U pricing, until now.

1/3"CCD or 1/4"CMOS, 24p/30p or 60i, etc... I have been quite satisfied with 60i authored HD. It plays VERY nice on my 50" 1080i plasma display, and 24" HD pc monitor.

Any advice or expertise pro/cons would be appreciated.

At essentially the same price, which would you suggest?

Jamie

Adam Gold May 22nd, 2008 05:17 PM

My first reaction is to say go for the V1 if they're the same price. Then again, the three main advantages -- progressive modes, the longer tele and the XLR inputs -- of the V1 over the FX1 are not that important to you.

Both will provide very lovely pictures that will easily do what you want to do. The V1 has more controls, but the FX1 is a little better in low light and is bigger and more substantial-feeling.

I just picked up a couple of FX7s (the baby V1) and find for the sports work I do, I'm using the FX7s more than my FX1s.

If you don't need progressive, the longer lens and the XLR, there'd be no compelling reason to go to the V1 if it were more expensive. But at the same price.... If you can find a place where you can handle both, that might be a good idea.

Things I like about FX1:
wider at wide end
better low light (marginally)
Larger/more substantial/feels sturdier
placement of LCD

Things I like about FX7/V1:
Longer at tele end -- much
lighter to carry around
continuous data display in LCD even when in auto
HDMI out
Zooms ease in and out

But frankly I love them both/all.

Jamie Hellmich May 22nd, 2008 06:08 PM

Thanks for the great reply Adam. I had considered the FX7 as well, but I'd prefer to buy new unless I knew the seller. Kinda leery of auctions for something like this, and can't find new ones.

I surely wouldn't mind the extra zoom. However, I don't want to have to purchase a converter lens for indoor shooting at family gatherings and stuff either.

I already use the .7x on my HC1 for such things most of the time, would that be the case with the V1, and perhaps not for the FX1?

I believe I would agree on the LCD placement as well.

Decisions, decisions, decisions!

It would be nice to hold them and compare, but I don't think anyone around here would carry them.

Thanks again, and I'll consider your "things I like" points.

Jamie