DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Start Record Wait Time (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/123854-start-record-wait-time.html)

Dana Salsbury June 16th, 2008 04:09 AM

Start Record Wait Time

When I'm filming I often need the fx1 to record right away, especially when I'm changing tapes. Is there any way to speed up the process? Sometimes it starts right away. Other times it thinks for a few seconds, and I can't figure out why it's not more consistent. Thoughts?

Dale Bohlke June 16th, 2008 07:40 AM

Dana,
I have similar frustrations waiting to record from standby. I have noticed a second or so less delay when turning the camcorder on and recording as compared to when the machine is on stand by and has shut down before recording. I do a lot of wildlife video and just turn it off after shooting a scene to gain a second to record time. It is very frustrating watching action in the viewfinder and seeing the blinking standby light. I am not sure this helps you except you are not alone with this problem.
Dale

Boyd Ostroff June 16th, 2008 08:32 AM

It takes the Z1 awhile to start up also. Last year when we did the DVinfo "Texas shootout" I was running a Z1 and everyone kept chuckling because I was usually last to yell "speed".

On the Z1 there's a menu option to enable quick start for recording - I think that may be missing on the FX1? I haven't tried it myself, but I believe the manual warns you may get a little "glitch" at the start of the footage when you choose this option.

I tape our operas, and there are often scenes which are longer than an hour, so I have to do tape changes. I guess it only takes a few seconds, but it can seem like forever when you wait for the camera to start recording. There's also a point when you eject the tape where the audio drops out, and that's a little disconcerting...

Adam Gold June 16th, 2008 11:40 AM

The Z1 is supposed to be a little quicker on the draw than the FX1. About a year ago I timed my FX1 from different modes, and here's what I posted in another forum, slightly edited:

"I think we may have a bit of a semantic issue here. I think we are talking about three distinct modes: complete power off, STBY mode, and Post-STBY mode, when the drum spins down but power is still on and VF is still showing picture.

"Here are the times I just got from my FX1, using a digital stopwatch.

"From complete power off to REC: Turn on power, wait for blue screen, hit REC, wait for red REC icon -- less than 10.7 secs.

"STBY mode: with yellow STBY icon lit in VF -- approx .7 sec. Couldn't stop the stopwatch quickly enough to measure accurately.

"Post-STBY mode: VF/LCD showing image but STBY icon off -- drum not spinning -- less than 6.8 secs.

"I did this five times for each mode and then averaged, but numbers didn't vary much.

"Oh, and while I thought I was disabling this on my HC3, by turning "auto Shut-off" to "never," this only keeps the camera from shutting down completely; it still goes into post-standby mode after 2-3 minutes.

"According to Sony, recording from "Post-standby" mode (not completely powered off) is 8 sec for the FX1 and 3 sec for the Z1."

--
Obviously this doesn't really address the changing-tapes issue, but thought it might be interesting...

Jamie Hellmich June 24th, 2008 06:21 PM

Though not for the tape change, you should be able to keep it "ready" by every so often ( every minute or two) hitting the record button then imediately hit it again before it acutally starts recording.

This quick start-stop does work on my V1 and HC1 for instant record start during standby periods.

Jamie