HDR FX-1 "Unable to initialize video deck" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old June 25th, 2008, 11:23 AM   #1
New Boot

HDR FX-1 "Unable to initialize video deck"

I just covered an event with my Sony HDR FX-1, but cannot capture the footage, as whenever I try to Log and Capture through Final Cut Pro 6, the message "Unable to initialize video deck" pops up. I did some research and found that alot of people have encountered this problem, but have solved it by engaging and/or disengaging in/out options such as "i.link conversion. In my case, I played with all of them, trying almost every combination of ons and offs, but did not have any luck with capturing.

The footage I shot was recorded at 1080i resolution, in 60i. My FCP settings are set to 'Easy Setup' HDV--1080i60. (I've also tried many other custom combinations, but no luck either...) I've tried powering down the MacBook Pro, hooking up the camera, turning on the camera, followed by the computer.....nothing.

I should also note that I cannot capture the HDV footage as NTSC DV either, through the i.link conv. I've bought another cable, tried 2 different MacBook pros...I'm stumped. Any help is greatly appreciated, as I have a deadline coming up and fear that this will set me back considerably.
Brian Vannucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 01:39 PM   #2
Regular Crew

The FW connector might be burned out on camera. I now always connect cameras (and decks) with computers (PC/Mac) with all units powered down to try and prevent this from happening.

I completely fried my Sony DSR 25's 1394 jack as well as the Pent 4 PC's 1394 card by connecting them up with both powered on. It won't always result in bad sparks, but it can do a little damage. Sony fixed my deck under warrenty, and the 1394 card was $35.00.

This looks like your issue. :(
Jeff Turkali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 07:59 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks for your reply Jeff, I will look into this. However, everytime I did any plugging or unplugging, everything was powered down. I also read that Final Cut does not get along with iLink..I don't know why this would be an issue though if I'm capturing HDV through a firwire 4 pin to 6 pin.

Also, can the Macbook Pro's firwire ports be fried, just as the FX-1's? I hate to say it, but I think my firewire ports are dead. They stopped working around the same time as I tried to capture...
Brian Vannucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 04:10 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Yes, the FW/i.link/1494 jacks in the computer as well as camera can be all cooked.

Of course you can try the camera with another Mac or PC and see if it has output. Or try another camera with that computer and see if any action is there.

But anyway, I have heard of FCP sometimes not seeing cameras, or failing to at first sight anyway. But Final Cut Pro likes FW (which is same as i.LINK) and generally gets along fine with it.

But this is not good what you are seeing. You much use another camera/computer to see what the hell happened.
Jeff Turkali is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1