Issues with filming in extremely high humidity at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old August 10th, 2008, 01:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Issues with filming in extremely high humidity

In the near future I'm planning on doing some filming in Costa Rica. I've heard some horror stories of cameras failing in the high humidity, and was wondering what everyone here would suggest to protect my camera and other equipment it?
Old August 10th, 2008, 03:41 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I had a similar camera (V1U) in Honduras for 2 weeks and did not have a problem.
I've had worse problems in North Carolina going from air condition to outside...which is a really bad idea.

In Honduras there was no Air Condition so the camera was the same temperature all the time.

Hope this helps.
Jason Boyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 04:27 PM   #3
Regular Crew

So even with the moisture I should be alright filming there? Just as long as I avoid the drastic changes in temperature?
Old August 11th, 2008, 09:51 PM   #4
Major Player

I live in a climate that can be extremely hot and humid. As Jason said the big problem is when you store the camera overnight in a nice air conditioned room and then the next morning, you take that nice cool camera out into the high heat and humidity. Instant condensation. Tapes will practically glue themselves to the video drum and then you are toast. I have managed to get the condensation dried out by putting the camera in a car with the tape transport open. And then turning the heater on full blast in the car. If you keep the camera at ambient tempertures, you shouldn't have much problem. Just avoid a lot of moisture.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 02:25 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Not strictly a humidity solution but...another useful accessory to consider adding to your already heavy kit bag, or place in the back of the car, is a plug-in travel hair dryer.
That can often get you out of trouble where condensation/damp/moisture is a risk.
For a few dollars at a local store it's virtually a throw-away item - and it could save you a costly repair bill.
Old August 12th, 2008, 06:55 PM   #6
Regular Crew

If you can't warm the camera up before you go out, a zip-lok bag and 15 minute warmup period is hard to beat. Place the cam in the bag while still in the AC or cooler environment, and it'll warm up without condensing moisture during your drive/walk or wait. You can also turn the camera on in the bag to speed up warmup.

I've had no issues in high humidity weather here in FL. Only time I ever had the problem was several years ago coming out of an ice cold cruise ship into the Bahamas humid heat... instant errror message and 1 hour wait.

Once burnt... once learnt. Zip-lok bag now in every camera bag/case.

Jamie

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1