Two FX1s setup the same, different hues at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old September 4th, 2008, 10:39 AM   #1
Major Player

Two FX1s setup the same, different hues

One of our FX1s is substantially warmer than the other, though every setting is identical and neither have filters attached. There is pry a bonehead reason, but I'm not seeing it. Thoughts?
Old September 4th, 2008, 11:39 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Sounds like a white balance issue, to me. As you may know, there are three settings available for manual white balance adjustment, otherwise the camera will auto adjust white balance.

To turn on manual white balance setting you need to take camera out of auto or lock position, and press the Wht Bal button, both along bottom left side of camera under the tape door.

Then you go to the White Balance selector switch which give you choice of Preset, or A or B. A or B is for storage of manual balance setting.

Preset are for daylight and tungsten, which you select via menu. When you select preset, it goes to whatever you have selected in you menu. That could cause issue you are having, as one could be set to tungsten, the other to daylight.

If your camera is set on A or B, it will be using last balance entered at either of those settings, and to match cameras, you need to put a white card in front of each in the same lighting conditions, and press the white balance button, and let the cameras balance. They should then match.

Another reason they could be off is because of settings in menu, but you indicated they were set exactly the same, so I won't get into that.
Old September 4th, 2008, 11:50 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Chris.

I had been setting white balance correctly, but you mentioned a white card (as opposed to a white shirt) and I haven't used them lately. I think I'll order a few for different applications to up our quality.
Old September 12th, 2008, 10:27 AM   #4
Major Player

I have never been able to get identical results with exactly the same settings on any 2 cameras. Whether it was BetaSP camcorders, VX1000's, VX2100's or now with 2 identical V1's. As newer models have been introduced, the differences seem less apparent. I think that they all come off of the assembly line a little "off". And most likely, if you had an engineer with the proper equipment, proper training and enough time, he could tune the outputs to be nearly identical.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 03:58 PM   #5
Major Player

I agree with what Greg says that there is often small differences in cameras of the same model,my first FX7 was returned as the picture was too red, the second is better but only in awb,manual and outdoor are still too red orientated for me but not as bad as the first one.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1