DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Monopod for FX1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/133385-monopod-fx1.html)

William N Zarvis September 17th, 2008 09:09 PM

Monopod for FX1?

Do you guys think a monopod (like the one below) would work well for an FX1? Do monopods tend work well for steading shots?

Bogen / Manfrotto | 334B Automatic Monopod (Black) - | 334B

Chris Barcellos September 17th, 2008 10:12 PM

I have a mono pod that comes in hand with my HV20, but I have never mounted the FX1 on it. I suppose that is because when I am using the monopod, I am trying to be as mobile as possible. My monopod is the Velbron Neo Pod 6, which would have no problem mounting and holding the FX1. The monopod is great for providing steadying influence when a tripod can't be set up quick.

The Velbron even comes with a canvas pouch that you put on your belt that you stick the end of the camera in to give you a poor mans steady stick.

You will find with any monopod you will also want to ad a still capability. I found that out going to the zoo one day. This is what I bought:

Bogen / Manfrotto | 234 Swivel Tilt Monopod Head - | 234 | B&H

Gareth Watkins September 18th, 2008 01:14 AM

Hi there
Any assistance in steadying your camera will improve your pictures. So I'd say find a system you like and use it. I have used a Z1 for 3 years now and find it very hard to keep steady without some kind of support. This is compounded when you add mics, matte box and large battery as they quickly become too heavy for my liking. (Next camera will be a shoulder mount)

I used both Manfrotto and Gitzo monopods for years as a stills photographer whenever I needed a long lens. Both are very well made... I used to prefer the Manfrotto though as it was adjusted with small levers and not locking rings as on the Gitzo..(these were hard to adjust with gloves or in cold weather)

I have not used the monopod on my Z1 but do use a Cavision shoulder mount whenever I go handheld. This has improved the steadiness on my handheld work hugely...

If you watch the TV news you'll see many of the VJ's using a monopod on their Z1's/HXV200/A1's etc...It also gives you the possibility to raise your camera up and shoot from a higher angle...Useful for the guys doing news and press conferences...

None of this replaces a tripod for good lock down shots or smooth pans, but it definitely helps when a tripod is not possible..

Cheers
Gareth

Scott Hayes September 18th, 2008 07:33 AM

i have to reccommend Bogen 561B. I use my Z1 with mine all the time, and it
is great.

William N Zarvis September 18th, 2008 12:38 PM

Thanks for the info guys! I'm definitely going to get a monopod now! I might pick up a SpiderBrace as well. I heard those are useful.

Gareth Watkins September 18th, 2008 03:16 PM

Hi Will
As I said any aid to stability will help the look and quality of your shots. A monopod will help with static shots.. you won't really be able to do much hand-held with it unless you use it as a rudimentary steadycam...

A shoulder brace.. will give you more mobilty.. as I said I use the Cavision one and find it very good... These cameras are very front heavy so you'll always find it awkward over long periods...

Happy shooting
Gareth

Michael Liebergot September 18th, 2008 03:32 PM

Actually I use both of these devices for different purposes an love em both.

Bogen 561B Fluid Base monopod. great monopod that has a fluid base cartilage, and a modified 701RCHDV video head, and gives me smooth as silk panning for use with a monopod. It's almost like being on a tripod.

Bogen / Manfrotto | 561B Fluid Video Monopod | 561B | B&H Photo

teh otehr goody is a DVMultiRig, which I use for just about everything.
I can shoot hadnheld, fig rig style, shoulder mounted, all of the above with a 2 section spring suport pod, low mode. And I can even mount the rig on a tripod in a matter of seconds.

DV MultiRig

Don't let the not great website fool ya. This is almost the perfect shooting tool for me.
I can shoot a wedding all day long with no fatigue (well except for the feet). And I can shoot almost any kind of shot except very high overhead booming shots, which I use my monopod for.

As for shooting with it, it's very easy to use, and you are guaranteed to improve your shaky shooting with ease. You an get some great moving camera shots and static shots with it. It's not meant to be a Glidecam, but with practice you can get some nice walking shots.

Gints Klimanis September 26th, 2008 01:34 PM

I second the DV MultiRig and the Bogen monopod with the swiveling base. Most surfaces do not allow a monopod to swivel smoothly, resulting in catch-release pans and worse, a low frequency rumble transmitted through the monopod and camera body if you don't have a shockmount for your microphone. Often, the that same catching/tearing sound is transmitted through the air, such as when the rubber monopod foot grips a wooden floor or wrestling mat.

Do not ever confuse the small tripod base of the Bogen monopod with a stand.

Anthony Cipriano November 4th, 2008 05:09 PM

Monopod For FX-1

Hey guys. I'm also looking to a monopod for my FX-1 and am leaning toward the Manfrotto one you guys have. However, how do you control the tilt of the base when you're swiveling the monopod head around? I've tried the static head version (the 560) and was disatisfied with the fact that you had to "work" the base to get an image into frame (eg: wedding couple coming up the aisle from the back of the church). I imagine the 561B will assist you but now you have two independent swivel points on the monopod to contend with. Also, I understand that the handle is fixed on one side only and that you can't switch it, unlike other Manfrotto tripods. But, the monopod is the way to go in a tight squeeze situation at any event!

Anthony Cipriano