DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Small companion for my Z1... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/139159-small-companion-my-z1.html)

Blake Cavett December 8th, 2008 09:00 AM

Small companion for my Z1...

I have two Z1's and I'm looking for a 3rd camera... something much smaller that I can use for my Merlin (I'm no Popeye). I'll need something that's close the quality of the Z1's (obviously) and was wondering if anybody had any suggestions.

Wasn't sure if the HVR-A1E would be a good choice or the Canon HV30, which is more than half the price.

Tony Spring December 9th, 2008 03:02 AM

I would question the A1s low light and the HV30 might be difficult to match with the Z1. How about the Sony SR11/12? We have 3 of them which we use as unmanned cameras with our Z1s.

You'll need to be prepared for the AVCHD files though..

Tom Vandas December 9th, 2008 03:31 AM

Hi Blake,

I regularly use a Sony HC9 on my merlin and mix it with Z1 footage. If you avoid high contrast extremes (eg. white shirts against dark backgrounds), the footage is almost indistinguishable, easily matched up in post. With a wide-angle lens and large battery it's relatively easy to use on the Merlin and I can just leave it on there, frequently switching from handheld and tripod-mounted Z1's to the HC9 on Steadicam.

I initially bought the HC9 as a capture device, but after trying it out on jobs I now use it all the time.

Oh yeah, it's also HDV so the workflow remains the same.

Duncan Craig December 9th, 2008 08:06 AM

I know it's not what you asked, but expecting an exact colour match, even between the same model of camera isn't realistic.

I personally use an HV20 as a companion to my Z1, it a great picture when used under good lighting conditions.

Blake Cavett December 9th, 2008 03:04 PM

Thanks for the responses! I'll be checking these cameras out!

Dave Blackhurst December 11th, 2008 07:15 AM

Keep in mind "exact color match" is iffy even between two identical cameras sometimes...

BUT, I'd say that Sony cameras will more likely be closer to the "Sony look" for want of a better term... Canon has a different "look" from what I experienced, not necessarily better or worse, just "different".

SO for the Z1, check out a used HC7, the newer HC9 (pretty much the same as the HC7, in black, just a few minor differences) - that's if you go with tape. If you open up the AVCHD option, SR11/12 or the CX12 are options.

A wild card - in the "small camera" section of DVi there are some good reports on the HG21 from Canon...

Scott Hayes December 11th, 2008 07:31 AM

i have an HC1 i will sell you for dirt cheap. i use it as cutaway with my sons all the time.

Pol Van der Plaetsen December 16th, 2008 02:27 AM

I have a Z1 and use a HC9 as second camera. In normal light condition you can't see the difference. In low light situations there is difference... the Z1 is the winner.

I use the HC9 also mainly as capture deck..

Sean Seah December 18th, 2008 11:27 PM

i use the HC1. It was a great companion to my FX1 but not so to the EX1!

Marcus Martell December 27th, 2008 07:13 AM

Do the hc series have the chance to split between Pal NTSC mode?
What's the price range of this small hdvcameras?

thx