DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Workflow for using wireless mikes? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/140287-workflow-using-wireless-mikes.html)

Dave Allen December 25th, 2008 01:30 PM

Workflow for using wireless mikes?

Till I get my replacement manual and the wireless Sennheiser mikes come in, can someone give a workflow on how one hooks up and uses wireless mikes with the FX1 and checks sound?

Rickey Brillantes December 26th, 2008 07:38 AM

Connect the receiver to the FX1, make sure that the receiver and transmitter are in the same frequency, adjust the mic gain to your taste, wear a headphone and adjust the volume thru the volume control on the back of the camera.

Michael Liebergot December 26th, 2008 10:23 AM

Dave another method could be this. The reason that I am bringing up the XLR box, is that, since you are avoiding the cameras noisy internal pre amps and using an XLR unit with built in low noise pre amps, your audio will be much quieter.

Pickup an XLR box, my recommendation is one from Juicedlink Juicedlink XLR Adapters

Then plug your G2 into XLR CH1 and shotgun mic into CH2 (if desired).

Then turn on your receiver only (leave your transmitter off) and check to see if there is any activity on your channel that is currently set. If there is activity, then find another channel.

Set your FX1's onboard audio to (5).

Turn on your transmitter and set your audio level.

Go to your XLR box (Channel 1 with wireless) and set pre amp to M (Medium) level so that you don't have much if any low frequency noise.

Go back to your receiver and set levels.

If you are running 2 wireless then make sure that they are both set to the same "BANK", but different frequencies in the "BANK".

You should now be good to go.

For a detailed tutorial on setup for your Sennheiser wireless, see this tutorial done by Guy Cochran.
Sennheiser Wireless Tutorial on Vimeo

It's very detailed and well done.

Marcus Martell December 30th, 2008 02:12 PM

What about the wireless are on the same bank?What happens?Never tryed....

Michael Liebergot December 30th, 2008 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus Martell (Post 986209)
What about the wireless are on the same bank?What happens?Never tryed....

Marcus, the reason that Sennheiser recommends using your Sennheiser wireless units on the same bank but different frequencies, is that each bank has been preset to run with little risk of interference from each wireless unit. The channel frequencies are spaced well enough that they prevent interfering with each other.

If you run your Sennheiser units to use different banks, then you run the risk of the wireless interfering with each other, as the frequencies might be too close to each in their frequency range.

Marcus Martell December 30th, 2008 05:58 PM

Thank you MIKE!I really appreciate it!Have an happy new year!

MM

Marcus Martell December 30th, 2008 08:02 PM

Last question:How can you see if the frequency is busy?

Michael Liebergot December 30th, 2008 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus Martell (Post 986396)
Last question:How can you see if the frequency is busy?

The easiest way to check is to make sure that ALL of your transmitters are off and then turn on your receiver.

If you see any RF activity then find another channel.

Anther way is to do a Frequency Sweep using the Sennheisers built in "Sweep" setting in the menu.

Keep in mind though that if the venue will be using a wireless as well, then you want to either find out what bandwidth it operates on, or at least turn on the transmitters to guaratee that they won't interfere with your system.