Turn off zebras? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old December 27th, 2008, 10:02 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Turn off zebras?

I've always used zebras at 70% to judge exposure but i get a bit fixated with them and was thinking of turning them off. I've done some tests exposing on just what i see, and its similar to the exposure i get when using zebras, but usually a fraction under. I'd like to go without zebras but need a bit of reassurance its not a dumb idea. Do many people not use zebras and how do they find it?
Neil Corbett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2008, 11:28 AM   #2
Inner Circle

On our Z1s the choice is between zebras and peaking, and for me zebras win hands down every single time. Don't get me wrong - I love having peaking (especially with our so-so v'finder resolution and the daft decision not to allow expanded focus while in the record mode) but auto focus on the Sony is a lot more accurate, dependable and useable than ever auto-exposure will be.

So keep the zebras on at all times I say. I use 100% but that's just me - I treat them as my 'long-stop' (to use a cricketing term), telling me what'll be pure white on the TV screen.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2008, 11:32 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I suspect you want to turn off the zebras because they're flooding your screen and you're having a difficult time seeing the picture. I rarely have that problem because I leave my zebras at 100%, and I've learned to judge exposure based on that setting. Without zebras, I can hit my exposure pretty well if I use the viewfinder, but they're almost a necessity if I'm going off the LCD.

Try raising your zebra setting and see if you like it any better.

Alec Moreno
http://www.1Day1ShotProductions.com
Alec Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2008, 02:58 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Alec got it right there. The biggest pain I have is the zebras being all over the screen, it makes it hard to judge anything. At the same time I don't trust the lcd screen of the Z1. I'll have a play around with the zebra settings and see what I prefer.
Neil Corbett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2008, 08:22 PM   #5
Major Player

I don't use Zebras all the time. Mostly, I use them for confidence when I am setting up the shot and have time for a quick check. Some times they can be distracting. I have a friend who is an awesome shooter and he will never use zebras.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1